World Models Covering

My partner wanted me to finish her advanced trainer, a DB Sport & Scale "Skyrider" in pink and purple. I bought some Toughlon or Light Tex in similar colours, please bear with me and all will become clear, though they look like lilac and rose to me! Although I have been using Solarfilm and Oracovert/Profilm for over thirty years, I am having difficulty getting rid of wrinkles on the wing tips using this material.  Other people rate this flm very highly so I've concluded that I must be doing something wrong!

I have lost the delivery note so I do not even know whether I am using Toughlon or Light Tex! I have also thrown away the instructions on the wrapping so do not know what temperatures are advisable. If it's any help, the purple has a paper backing while the pink has a transparent plastic backing just like Solarfilm. 

Any advice on the recommended temperatures would be appreciated.                  

Getting there (1).JPG

Port Wing Tip.JPG

Edited by David Davis

Seeing as you are applying a patch to a relatively small area, I would hit it with a hot air gun until it shrinks.  If it pulls up tight, all well and good; if you go too far and it holes, then you can just peel it off and try again.

If a gun is too vicious for you, then use your iron to heat and lift the curved edge, then pull and stretch it over the curve while applying heat to take out most of the slack.  Increase heat to rake out any remaining.  Smaller wrinkles can be got rid of by 'boning' them out with the iron.

Thank you for your advice gentlemen. I have managed to get the wing tip to an acceptable though not perfect standard using the hot air gun as recommended by Mike T and I intend to cut a white cheat line from Solartrim almost the length of the wing to hide the repair.

ED, what are the coverings you would recommend?

• Like 1