WANTED : 4CH Chris Foss Uno Wot Airframe

GaryW

Hi 

For my sins I am coming back into the hobby after giving it up 5 years ago due to extensive health issues and I'm looking for a 4 ch Chris Foss Uno Wot ( airframe only please ) if anyone has one they are looking to sell must be in good condition can collect within 50 miles of Tonbridge Kent...

Call me on 07572 130441 or

Email me @ [email protected]

uno-wot-10.jpg

Edited by Hawke225

• GaryW changed the title to WANTED : 4CH Chris Foss Uno Wot Airframe

So we need to build on those building skills then!😀

There are plenty of folks on here who build kits or from plans who I am sure would help you, myself included.

The obvious comment from me would be to see the model before you buy or get an experienced modeller to check it for you to make sure the condition is reasonable.

Even a brilliant flyer will have trouble flying a bag of nails, as a rejoiner you need to have a model which will fly well to start off with.

I have aquired a few models recently which looked OK outwardly but on delving inside, I have found a whole host of issues.

Sadly this includes a Ripmax Wot Trainer (same in principle as UnoWot) which I knew had been crashed and needed a new nose, however it is needing a bit more work than I had expected.

Good luck and welcome back to the hobby / sport, keep us posted as to how you get on

Oh I'm a well experienced flier @Andy Gates I actually have 30 yrs+ rc flying uner my belt a few of those include helicopters and more recently indoor flying again so yes you can be sure full inspection of a secondhand one will suffice before any pennies are parted with there

No photo description available.

Edited by Hawke225

One thing that has changed a lot in the last few years is the switch to electric flight so you might want to consider a purpose designed electric model.

However if you still prefer the Uno Wot then the Chris Foss website gives an interesting way to convert to electric & locate the battery.    

A Wot4 of the balsa original size would be just ( almost? ) as good a model for restarting as a Uno Wot and probably much easier to find ready built.

Edited by kc

@kc Electric is the route i will be going in my return to the hobby ,, glow and petrol is well in the past for me I already have a Blade 400 3D Heli  , Minipred Heli, & a little Sport Cub 500 for indoor flying and I still have a waterhouse & Eley " Superfly I got a few years ago to celebrate 30 yrs in the hobby being the very first plane i flew when i was learning all those yrs ago

313408429_10160646764987915_8388823040894946144_n.jpg

Untitled.png

2 hours ago, Hawke225 said:

Oh I'm a well experienced flier @Andy Gates I actually have 30 yrs+ rc flying uner my belt a few of those include helicopters and more recently indoor flying again so yes you can be sure full inspection of a secondhand one will suffice before any pennies are parted with there

No photo description available.

Apologies, I was not trying to teach "grandma to suck eggs", just trying to ensure you did not get bitten.

I have just been stripping the Ripmax "Wot Trainer", it is obviously aimed at IC as the tailplane and fin are both plywood and very heavy. I shall be taking a hole saw to it to reduce the weight.

1 minute ago, Andy Gates said:

Apologies, I was not trying to teach "grandma to suck eggs", just trying to ensure you did not get bitten.

I have just been stripping the Ripmax "Wot Trainer", it is obviously aimed at IC as the tailplane and fin are both plywood and very heavy. I shall be taking a hole saw to it to reduce the weight.

PLYWOOD...???? holy hell

Quite!

As someone who builds light anyway (I have been accused of filling the wings of my machines with helium), I was quite shocked but it does feel very heavy to me, as do the wings.

Fin & rudder 80g

Tailplane & elevator 87g

Wing 806g (including servo)

The previous owner had 85g of weight stuck to F1 to help balance it even though it had a GF cowl.

Hi Keith,

My plan is to use the same motor as the one in my Pitts biplane but powered by 3S rather than 4S.

It is a Surpass Hobby C4250 800kv which should be good to go on a 12" x 6" prop or maybe a 13" x 7" if that is not enough. Should be able to get a reasonable duration on my 2700 / 3000mAH packs.

I am awaiting delivery of it and a couple of servos.

By comparison the G32 is a 4226 600kv so similar

We should not be too horrified at the use of ply.   The now very common Liteply is much lighter than birch ply and is often substituted for balsa by using thinner sizes.    Using 3mm Liteply with some cutouts instead of solid 6mm balsa might be OK for tail parts but nice light balsa would be better if you can get it.  

Sorry Keith, but to me liteply is a bit of an Oxymoron.

If you want light - use balsa.

If you want strength - use ply.

There are many other materials now being used for aeromodelling which are a better substitute than Liteply.

For your example of the tail parts, I would much rather make up a frame work version than use sheet both for weight, strength and repairability.

Edited by Andy Gates

First of all I concede that Andy is one of the lightest builders at our club  - he has proved that with his regular models.

However liteply can be useful and it's not that much heavier than balsa.   I have just weighed a random sheet of 3mm liteply and it's 108 gms/sq ft.   That's about 50 percent more than heavy balsa ( 70gms/sq ft for heavy 3mm balsa 16lb cu ft)   Medium 3mm balsa is 44 gms sq ft (10lb cu ft ) and light 3mm at 26 gms sq ft (6lb cu ft)

But the advantage of liteply is that one could use much thinner ply than balsa for any particular job and it's also possible to fret the ply out to save weight but not lose much strength.   The big advantage to ARTF makers is that large sheets save waste and ply is consistent not variable like balsa.     Of course we amatuers can use the variable nature of balsa to our advantage by clever selection.  

In fuselage construction using 3mm liteply instead of 3mm  balsa with 1/32 ply doubler can save money and work yet still be strong enough to allow cutouts towards the tail end.

A few years ago when everyone was building the Ballerina I challenged another forum member to build the tailplane lighter by built up strip than I could with solid 6mm sheet.    Result was I lost by a tiny margin - his built up was a fraction lighter than my solid tailplane, elev, fin & rudder (total 65gm uncovered )  but it was so nearly a draw!  So good balsa selection can just about equal built up.  The covering material will make a bigger difference!

Hawke225

Getting towards the end of my repairs on the Ripmax Wot Trainer.

It is a bit on the heavy side to me so I did some research.

Spec for the weight on this machine is a flying weight of 2800g, my repaired plane is a little under this but not by much.

Spec for Chris Foss UnoWot is 63oz which is around 1750g.

The UnoWot is about 1 kg lighter than the Ripmax Wot Trainer, so personally if I had the choice - I would head for the Uno Wot every time.

The kit also seems to be in stock in most places.

The performance difference will be noticeable.

• 1 month later...

Hi Again Peeps... Just to update you... The plan was to go off on a trip down to Chris Foss tomorrow to pick up a Uno Wot Kit but he hasn't got back to me to confirm so I will be going to Sussex Model Centre instead to pick up a 4ch kit they are holding for me,,, so its all go for a uno wot build here

The Uno Wot was my first r/c model with ailerons. It was powered by an Irvine 21 car racing engine which flew it very well. I was only a novice at the time and older club-mates said that it flew like slope soarer which is not surprising considering Chris Foss's experience of designing slope soarers and the high aspect ratio of the wing. It remains one of the two models which I regret selling. The other was a Flair Hooligan.

2 hours ago, David Davis 2 said:

The Uno Wot was my first r/c model with ailerons. It was powered by an Irvine 21 car racing engine which flew it very well. I was only a novice at the time and older club-mates said that it flew like slope soarer which is not surprising considering Chris Foss's experience of designing slope soarers and the high aspect ratio of the wing. It remains one of the two models which I regret selling. The other was a Flair Hooligan.

Now the Flair Hooligan..... was a very good plane to fly ive had 2 in my life infact i saw one hanging up in Sussex Model Centre yesterday when I pick the Uno Wot Kit up and to be honest if it wasnt sold I wudda bought it without a doubt