Windshield

Wonder if I'm at the right place for my question.

Have build the Swenson Storch many moons ago and has flown many times,( not electric )  but some times things can go wrong like my last flight, result a crash.

Fuselage broken.

She is back in one piece again, but the windshield broken, is there anyone out there that can help me, I need  a new wind shield, can some one help please, what ever the cost.

Thank you

Joop

jarens @casema.nl

Welcome to the forum.

You have not mentioned the size of your Storch - is it the 95 inch one shown on the Outerzone plan?   It is possible that the original kit maker still has the mould.   I believe the kits were made in Spain at one time and also in another European country but it wasn't England as far as I know.

Canopies and windscreen mouldings can often be obtained from Vortex Vacform and they may be able to form a special one from your mould.   Many British plans from RCME etc had the canopies supplied by either Vortex or Sarik.

There are lots of articles on moulding canopies and some simple techniques using hot air guns to form plastic bottles etc to make canopies.

The Storch appears to have fairly flat panels so perhaps it might be possible form a complete panel or just the broken part with a simple mould and a hot air gun. 

Saving the damaged windscreen, whatever the condition, might assist to make a mould for a new one.   Some people have used the old canopy or cowl filled with plaster to make the mould for a new one.   Others make a balsa shape for mould.

Somewhere on this forum there is some info on using soft drink bottles to mould windscreens using a hot air gun.  I think they used 2 litre lemonade bottles.   As the material is free you could experiment a lot!   

You might also see the expert way to make the windscreen and the over wing part in Danny Fenton's Auster thread which seems to use flat plastic just bent to shape using lots of patience.   The material used seems to come from DB Sport & Scale

Thank you Gentleman for you advice,

I have just mailed "Vortex Vacform " about the windshield, the model was supplied by Swenson is 95”, the problem is that Swenson does not exist any more and I don't know if any other company that sell the same size Fiesler.

JaJo

• 7 months later...

Hi folks,

I’ve had this Storch hanging over me for quite a while now and I thought it was time I needed to do something with it on behalf of my late friends widow.

Last year, I had thought of making some moulds to form a cowling and windscreen. However, it’s a bit smaller than the Swenson’s 95” model being only 85” span. I looked everywhere in my friends hangar for a plan or kit box but found nothing to identify it.

Also, I have developed a very severe reaction to epoxy resin so moulding is now a no-no.

So I’ve formed a cowling out of light ply and the windscreen is from 0.5mm PETG. First I made a card template and then cut the PETG to shape. Using a heated piece of steel I creased it to form the main facets. The top triangle is a separate piece bonded on using Shoo Goo.

The Storch is not far off from flight testing but I’m wondering if the motor is man enough. It’s an Overlander T50/45 860w. On 6s and a 14x6 prop it makes a fair bit of wind but will it haul 4.4kg of aircraft aloft?

Cheers, Marty

P.S. Apologies if I cant offer a windscreen to Joop.

IMG_20230802_150732(1).jpg

Edited by Martin Fraser
photo