Shifty

4max have now listed a power package for the upcoming Shifty here:

Electric Setup For the Shifty by Richard Harris as featured in the April 2024 Edition of RCM&E Magazine (4-max.co.uk)

Although I used a 3s 850mah pack in mine the second two beta models have a slightly wider fuselage to except larger packs, as all models have needed ballast it makes sense to benefit from the extra flight times. The 4max Lipos are the best I have used and come highly recommended.

I also recommend the drone type motors for their durability and light weight, there are many to choose from out there similar to the 4max offering. They come with no mount but its easy to make one, I am quite happy to draw one and add the files somewhere for a 3d printed version if anyone is interested?

I'm just finalising a materials list which I will post in the next few days, there is a little more wood in the delta than the canard.

Rich

Edited by Richard Harris

Here we go, a materials list.

All balsa is 915mm (36") lengths, sheet is 100mm (4") wide, straight grained and warp free.

4 off - 6.5mm (1/4") medium grade balsa sheet (flying surfaces, nose block and fuselage spines). 

4 off - 3.2mm (1/8") medium grade balsa sheet  (fuselage and vertical stabilisers).

2 off - 4.5mm (3/16") square medium grade balsa (fuselage lower longerons)

1 off - 3.2mm (1/8") 300mm x 300mm lite ply

1 off - 3.2mm (1/8") birch ply ( motor mount, front lower fuselage floor and hatch). It only needs to be 50mm square and could be made up of thinner laminations.

The canopy is an optional extra as you can leave the fuselage side 'full' and simply paint or trim an outline. If you are going to go with a bottle type canopy you will need oddments of balsa sheet/ block to make a plug.

Alternatively just pm me and I'm happy to make one using my plug, all I would want is the cost to cover P&P, this would be subject to empty bottles I can get my hands on.

Any questions just ask.

Looking forward to your creations.

Rich

• Like 2

I just re read the materials list, the birch ply is for the bulkhead only. :classic_rolleyes:

On another note the yellow Shifty built by Rich E has had its maiden, only required a few clicks of right trim. He's really pleased with it and sent me a couple of photos from the field.

Screenshot_20240303_182930.jpg.7e359dfc91950c97d5aaffcda26e0133.jpg

Screenshot_20240303_182951.thumb.jpg.693e3e72a9c31168aa1a9be9d3db6b93.jpg

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Thomas W Shelley said:

Just got the mag, looks great and a quick build too. Will see if I can knock up some parts in the evenings this week and get it built - Another Rich Harris classic in the making! 

Excellent, I've not seen the article in all its glory as yet.

Which one do you fancy Thomas?

Be sure to post your progress as you get going please.

Rich

Definitely the canard to start with - I love the look of the delta but I like the sound of the canard's flight characteristics. Every single build of mine has a few 'oh sπ1t!' moments, so I usually end up doing a second one when I get round to it, will probably give the delta a go in that case. 

I don’t have any 800mAh LiPos but plenty of 1350mAh batteries. I am concerned about the wing loading with the larger heavier battery (130g) as it might spoil the low speed handling. Perhaps a 10% or 15% plan enlargement might  be the answer?

2 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

I don’t have any 800mAh LiPos but plenty of 1350mAh batteries. I am concerned about the wing loading with the larger heavier battery (130g) as it might spoil the low speed handling. Perhaps a 10% or 15% plan enlargement might  be the answer?

Piers,

As long as you can physically fit your battery within the confines of the bay I think the original size is fine, the fuselage has been widened to accommodate larger packs than what I'm using. Each beta built canard  has had to have some form of nose ballast added in the shown area to achieve the CG.

I think the others are using 1100mah packs, I'm sure they will confirm when they see this.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ken anderson. said:

hello richard...great plan in the mag(thanks)...when will you be starting the production run of the canopy's please.

ken anderson...ne...1....richard harris production line dept.

Yes Ken,

PM sent

Rich

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Richard. 

Daft question, but thought I'd ask. 

If one was wanting to build both versions (together) do we need double of everything in the above mentioned materials list?

Just curious if there is lots left over before ordering Balsa. 

Many thanks 

Keith,

Yes, material list is for one model, there will be left overs from this but not enough to build a complete model.

You will need to double up if your going for the pair.

Don't forget to post your progress as you get going.

Rich

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richard 

im in Australia and just received the April edition today and when I saw your designs, I instantly knew that I need to build them. I already have some twin engines planes using drone motors on 4s, is 4s too much for the shifty.

IMG_5501.jpeg

IMG_5408.jpeg

• Like 2

Aeromaniac,

I've not tried a 4s but would think it would be fine, it certainly wouldn't hurt to inset a carbon/hardwood spar into the flying surfaces if going down this route. The extra weight of the 4s lipo will benefit either Shifty as the beta test models had lead added to the nose.

Nice twins by the way, please post your progress once you get going. 😎

Ken,

I've flown several canards and Shifty is by far the best flier to date,  goes where you point it, you will like it.🙂

Rich

• Like 1

Ken,

Looking good mate, maiden next week end at this rate? 🤣

Kevin,

We can never have too many projects 😉

We had a visit yesterday from a fellow American modeller and avid RCM&E reader Lee, managed to get a few of the boys over to meet him and have a day flying in near perfect conditions.

A good day was had by all and he left with a Shifty plan and canopy, he will update me on his progress on his return to Washington.

Managed to get a snap of Rich E's canard, if you look closely his receiver is in the cockpit, doubling up as a dummy instrument panel, it fits in from underneath. 

IMG_9383.thumb.JPG.ae3c2c6a4921b78659de8b13ce99e228.JPG

• Like 2

few more photos from Shifty construction dept,plus ordered the motor from 4Max on monday morning and it was delivered tuesday morning..excellent service i hear you think.....only thing is the plan tells you to angle the top and bottom of one of the formers(it tells you the wrong one!!...no big deal)

ken anderson...ne...1...shifty dept.

IMG_20240423_065129.jpg

IMG_20240424_065026.jpg

IMG_20240424_103233.jpg

• Like 3