A10 plus

Martin  McIntosh

Thanks John, it must be other than the one I was looking at. Anyway, I shall start again here.

I have built four of the TN d/f models plus my o/d 90mm Hawk but for various reasons have not been able to try any in the air as of yet (ill health, eyesight affected or just too scared to).

Fed up with just sitting around all day with nothing to do in the shed, I spotted an A10 blog so got the plans enlarged as per my Hunter. The 64mm FMS 4s fans have arrived very quickly from AliExpress but the ESCs will take rather longer as will the retracts which I intend to fit. Got a job lot of high grade thin balsa from a former club mate and now have the basic fus. ready for skinning. Almost all of the formers have been made from balsa ply to save weight and wood sizes kept as per original where possible.

Small error on the plan whereas the stringer slots in F4 do not align with the ones in F2 and 3 but I may correct this before proceeding further.

Pics later when I have something worth showing.

Amazingly, the retracts arrived today. I thought that the box must only contain a couple of ESCs since it was so light. The units are very small but should be fine, having metal trunnions. The supplied legs are short with only 50mm wheels but these will be replaced by 65mm super light ones. Not bad for the price. Not sure yet as to whether to make the nosewheel retract forwards or backwards since I have already provided for a none scale rearward option.

I have moved the offending stringers on F4 to where they should be. Fairly obviously the plan was drawn showing them on the wrong side of a line.

I have now started the laborious task of copying the ribs to plain paper then onto balsa by drawing round the outlines in ink. Tried many ways of doing this over the years and this is the best by far.

Don`t like solid balsa tails since they put a lot of weight where you could do without it and had already decided to make it built up. I see that the ceiling tile A10 on the rear cover of the March RCM&E appears to have a very thick tail section.

Some pics, but really just a larger version of the original so far. Since the wing centre section ribs did not have a rear spar to stop the TE from floating around I have added a simple 1/8th sq. one to the top. The wing outer panels are shown without a W1 rib at the join so they will get one to make life easier. I shall glass over the dihedral joins because there will not be much else holding them together. Centre ready for top sheeting and I shall stay with 1/16th.

Last pic shows the diminutive retracts. The larger 65mm wheels will eventually be fitted. Anyone tried these ESCs?

I have a brand new pair of hopefully quality TGY wing servos for this but need a couple of others since I shall be fitting rudders. Found a donor model in the shape of one of my Atom autogyros which has the servos, wheels and a suitable Rx.

On 15/02/2023 at 17:10, Martin McIntosh said:

I have now started the laborious task of copying the ribs to plain paper then onto balsa by drawing round the outlines in ink. Tried many ways of doing this over the years and this is the best by far.

Generally I prick round the rib outline through the plan onto the balsa directly. Then just ‘join the dots’ with a no.11 blade in a Swan Morten knife. It does leave holes in your nice virgin plan however. 

Didn’t the TN A10 have a sheet wing or have you designed a new wing on your enlargement Martin? Most probably me mis-remembering. 

Thank you for the heads up re the stringer slots.

Some photos would be nice if you get a moment.

Edited by Piers Bowlan

Excellent stuff. I really look forward to seeing the retracts in place - The plane is really quite well thought out it seems, but could just do with being a bit bigger so I like your approach!

The trailing edge spar is a great touch. I too didn't like the fact that there was no W1 at the root of the dihedral - I wish I'd stuck an extra rib each side in. I instead added riblets to the W1 which supported the wing skin. The wing of mine certainly feels sturdy enough now that it's fully sheeted.

I just got the wing bolt installed and I would suggest perhaps both of double bolts and double dowels at the leading edge to make it more solid when screwing the wing down.

I am detailing all of my build here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/vECz78aDhvmBczh68

Hi David, I shall have a look at your blog.

The retracts will need new legs making when I can get a suitable size of wire. Not sure of the correct position for the mains but am thinking of 50% chord.

I never use a single bolt on a model like this; also never use dowels since any wear and tear is not easily fixed. I always use a ply tongue which is much simpler to fit and align with a slot in the LE former.

Sorry about the delay with photos, I got sidelined.

Centre top is now sheeted and am about to cut the braces.

• Like 1

Hi Eflightray,

That looks a very good rendition of the A10 despite the tractor props,I assume its a all depron construction?. Curious to how you constructed the ducts and were the ducts pointed upwards as per the actual A10. Also on the full size the tail plane is angled downwards, did you replicate that or did you  need to modify it in any way?

Lastly did you get abrupt trim changes if you reduced engine power?

Just watched the video, yes its all depron.

Henry

Edited by HENRY GELSTHORPE

Now you've made me do some digging, those photos were taken in 2009.

I found the original thread back in RCGroups, which I tend to use most.

Here's the link --  https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?1091201-Oh-not-another-A-10-The-Video

Post #4 gives some info.

I still have the model, so if anyone cares to drive to Wales, (near Neath) they can probably have it, as I have given up flying.

Ray.

Got a bit further now with the outer wing panels done and aileron servo mounts in place. Joining a polyhedral wing with the tips at the correct angle is never easy and I really had to rely on the accuracy of the braces here, but it has worked out OK.

The bottom sheeting was a bit of a problem due to that unusual undercambered section but I got round that somehow.

A10 plus 009.jpg

A10 plus 010.jpg

A10 plus 011.jpg

A10 plus 012.jpg

• Like 1

Wing now completed bar the u/c pods.

The tips were al ot of work but have turned out OK.

I decided to fit rudders since I may not be able to modify the noseleg to make it steerable.This involved designing a built up tail to accommodate the servo. The original idea was to use a micro E Sky digi but fitting it would have been difficult so I have changed to a rather heavier Corona mg wing servo which can be screwed in once the tail is fitted. The ball links at the tips will go into forward facing rudder horns .

A10 plus 021.jpg

A10 plus 017.jpg

A10 plus 018.jpg

A10 plus 019.jpg

A10 plus 020.jpg

Now got the wing mounts and tail fitted. The tail had to be raised slightly because of the thickness and proved more difficult to align than expected, but this was due to the unsheeted fus. twisting. I have added a couple of extra stringers from 1/4x1/8th to aid sheeting which I may do from 3/32nd if I cannot get any of my 1/8th to curve enough.

A10 plus 026.jpg