A10 plus

Martin  McIntosh

4 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

By the way, I expect that other builders will need to seriously extend the battery to ESC wiring. No way of knowing yet if my ESCs will stand this.

I extended the wires from the ESCs to the motors. Apparently way less of an issue than extending the wires from the battery to the ESCs. My ESCs reside towards the front of the wing in the fuselage.

23 minutes ago, Martin McIntosh said:

Thinking along the same lines as I once lost a twin on take off despite modifying the escs. I have a couple of multi engined models with internal ones and cooling does not seem to be an issue.

So I made a loom thing which _does_ add a bit of length, and I didn't shorten the battery wires from the ESCs to compensate. I hope it's short enough not to cause issues.

IMG_20230201_121523.thumb.jpg.ac1b689e69c5ccacd7b1cab9679ba584.jpg

I extended the ESC to motor wires and then plaited them together (apparently this helps to reduce interference elsewhere.

IMG_20230310_110548.thumb.jpg.9859ec6571e917a489e5704935a50911.jpg

I've got my motor wires coming through the top of the engine pod to fuse former.

IMG_20230310_110603.thumb.jpg.fcd1cb59cfe1a6a251cc111536ba05b8.jpg

Oh and I added a vent hole under the gun at the front. I've not sorted out the exhaust vent yet, but will likely have some slatted ply behind the wing trailing edge on the fuselage.

IMG_20230221_210943.thumb.jpg.8c671f6bbefb1f4a6fbf6c9e1a6cdc97.jpg

IMG_20230310_111349.thumb.jpg.461a7c2f2660ae9407eb3a4245163c56.jpg

Edited by David Hazell 1

David, do you have any pics of the fan pod mouldings since the TN build photos seem to stop short at that point. I shall, of course, have to make up my own.

Got some of the upper sheeting done and made a right pigs ear of some around the top block but should be able to hide that under a balsa canopy when I make one.

A10 plus 027.jpg

A10 plus 028.jpg

A10 plus 029.jpg

What do you mean by bell housing? The only hot glue I used was to secure the EDF units (and then only on the back of the hole and against the edf, and then to secure the acetate thrust tubes to the EDFs. I made a bit of a pigs ear of the hot glue work, but it is all hidden away now. Completely not serviceable at all if/when a fan goes bang!

I've added the fillets to the engine housing now. Looks very Starship Enterprise indeed! I also decided to copy you and and my cooling exhaust slots under the engine pod former. Bit of a thin slit which I might well need to increase in area but it's certainly going to be well hidden:

IMG_20230314_002546.thumb.jpg.ad603db52dd3a84bd2cba660ebaca77d.jpgIMG_20230314_002534.thumb.jpg.05651363d93126a3a97654a93b14670a.jpgIMG_20230314_002516.thumb.jpg.f82839e5352c40a4b1c6ea1e211069e5.jpg

I'll feather it all in to be smooth tomorrow. I'm approaching the point where I need to start covering the fuselage soon. I will add some cockpit detail and some of the more obvious sticky out bits (like the long rectangular bit on top between the engine pods, the radar sensors on the tail, the little nobbles on the either side of the nose. I don't want to go over the top because it's really not that accurate a scale model, what with the lack of flaps and "proper" undercarriage. I will know when I've gotten far enough for my liking. As it is, I'm not adding all the ordnance rails to the wing, so maybe I just need to dial it back and accept it as it is!

oh and I'm going to copy this paint scheme (no need for weathering!): https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/41483/behold-the-awesomeness-of-this-black-a-10-warthog

Edited by David Hazell 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, David Hazell 1 said:

What do you mean by bell housing? The only hot glue I used was to secure the EDF units (and then only on the back of the hole and against the edf, and then to secure the acetate thrust tubes to the EDFs. I made a bit of a pigs ear of the hot glue work, but it is all hidden away now. Completely not serviceable at all if/when a fan goes bang!

I've added the fillets to the engine housing now. Looks very Starship Enterprise indeed! I also decided to copy you and and my cooling exhaust slots under the engine pod former. Bit of a thin slit which I might well need to increase in area but it's certainly going to be well hidden:

IMG_20230314_002546.thumb.jpg.ad603db52dd3a84bd2cba660ebaca77d.jpgIMG_20230314_002534.thumb.jpg.05651363d93126a3a97654a93b14670a.jpgIMG_20230314_002516.thumb.jpg.f82839e5352c40a4b1c6ea1e211069e5.jpg

I'll feather it all in to be smooth tomorrow. I'm approaching the point where I need to start covering the fuselage soon. I will add some cockpit detail and some of the more obvious sticky out bits (like the long rectangular bit on top between the engine pods, the radar sensors on the tail, the little nobbles on the either side of the nose. I don't want to go over the top because it's really not that accurate a scale model, what with the lack of flaps and "proper" undercarriage. I will know when I've gotten far enough for my liking. As it is, I'm not adding all the ordnance rails to the wing, so maybe I just need to dial it back and accept it as it is!

oh and I'm going to copy this paint scheme (no need for weathering!): https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/41483/behold-the-awesomeness-of-this-black-a-10-warthog

What a really tidy workshop!!!. I wish mine was like that.

Bas

Busy lately working on the nacelles which have given me a bit of a headache. The stringer length shown on the top view is not the same as on the side view of the same part, leading me to think that N1&2 were at 90 deg to the mounting plates, but they are not. I can get round this by angling the thrust tubes upwards from the fans.

Got the shape of the front part done from some rather harder to work balsa than I would have liked but it is now ready to make a GRP mould from. The rear ones will be much more difficult since the only material I had left was blue foam.

I have bent up the main u/c legs ready to fit and shall have to guess how far back these should go from the cg but may may a sliding mount rail so that it may be changed a little.

Decided to move the N2s. First one took forever to debond but the other came off quite quickly.

Managed to get the moulding plugs to a reasonable shape with a lot of effort. They are now covered with very light glass cloth, which when sanded down will become the basis for the female moulds. I can now sheet the nacelles.

• Like 1

Having a lot of trouble with the nacelle grp mouldings. I have made very many similar items in the past but these are driving me mad. I would normally use a polyester gel coat over the polished plugs but although I have the tin of resin I searched high and low for the catalyst which came with it, so since it says on the tin to use 2% MEKP catalyst I tried the stuff which comes with U Pol and Halfords Fast Glass. Mistake! It appeared to set with a tacky surface as normal, but when I tried to get one out of a plug the stuff had not set at all and I had to get the thing very hot in order to pull off the glass cloth. Managed to recover the plug after much washing with every type of solvent I could muster so that I can start again. Thankfully I did not try this with the blue foam rear one since I have no more of it left  and am making this by an old fashioned method. Will find out tomorrow if it has worked.

Bashing on whittling away at the gear pods which will be covered before fitting; also nearly done the nacelle sheeting. Pics later if it all works out OK.