La Coupe Des Barons, Four Stroke Engines and Nitro.

David Davis

Regular visiters to this site will know that I participate in a daft competition every year called La Coupe Des Barons or The Barons' Cup in English. It's an event for a three-channel French trainer which looks a little like a Great War monoplane. For those unfamiliar to the event I have attached a link to a video of the 2017 event at the end of this piece. I have become quite well known in the competition for being the only Englishman in the event and for campaigning a four stroke. Indeed, I give a prize to the leading fourstroke pilot every year. I have two Barons so that I have a model to fly in the event even if I crash one in practice! One is powered by a Thunder Tiger 54, the other by an OS 52.

There are four flying rounds to the competition including a pylon race and Chasse Renard which involves chasing a trainer towing a crepe paper streamer and cutting it off with your propeller. In both of these rounds a bit of speed is useful.

I have always run my four strokes on 10% nitro, Lasers excepted. Should I continue using 10% nitro or should I increase the nitro content to get a bit more performance from the engine? If so by how much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYlLvJC-MuE

Bertie 2021 (3) - Copy.JPG

Bertie Pret Pour La Coupe (4).JPG

You might find propeller tuning to offer greater gains. Master airscrew props are woeful, apc would offer better performance. Maybe try a few, 12x6, 11x7, maybe even 11x8? and see which gives the best speed. A great deal will depend on how draggy your model is so a prop giving theoretically higher pitch speed maybe be slower than a finer pitch prop giving higher trust. 

Boosting the nitro will make little difference with the engines you are using, 10% is plenty. And that is where you are used to running them. As Jon says try some different pitch/diameter props, engine makers usually list best size/pitch for aerobatics, speed ect.