NGH GF38 Prop Washer

Andy J

Advert

A decent piece of steel will probably be ok as is but if you want to heat treat then this how .

Finish to required finish on lathe .

Hang on a piece of wire and heat with a blow lamp to a bright red then quench quickly in water. This will harden it /

Now clean up to bright again with fine wet and dry or a mop to the finish you require .

Hang on wire again and heat gently with a blow lamp . Have a container of oil handy , engine oil will do.

Watch the colour it will start going a  light straw and begin to darken you are looking at a dark purple colour . As soon as it approaches the dark purple drop it in the oil .

This will give it a rust resistant surface and temper it to withstand distortion .

If you over cook it just start again 

Hope his helps

Andy, 

Bright mild steel will be perfectly OK for your washer. The process for hardening and tempering as described is what is used for making hand tools such as cold chisels and punches etc.. 

The washers that you buy from any hardware store are just punched out of mild steel sheet and are perfectly serviceable for a myriad of uses up to and including structural steelwork.

If you machine your washer you will end up with a precision item that will be perfectly suited for the use you want to put it too.

Well received the metal today and it does not machine well as never done any turning of steel before.

Problem 1 was that my self centring chuck was not big enough to hold a 40mm bar so had to resort to my 4 jaw chuck.

Problem 2 was trying to centre the work using only a Mk1 eyeball. Luckily I managed get it fairly accurate and was able to face off the front and turn the bar down a few 1/1000ths to get it back to a true diameter.

Drilling out the centre went ok but chamfering the front edge to blend into the spinner left a jagged cut so it will have to be repeated at some point.

Then took the work piece off the lathe just to satisfy myself that the centre hole of the washer was going to slide over the engine shaft which it did and it also allowed me to establish how thick the final washer needs to be.

Problem 3 was then getting the job re-aligned in the 4 jaw. This proved to be very difficult so gave up at this point and will return to the job another day.  Thinking if I turn down a scrap bar to the same diameter as the washer clearance hole perhaps I can then use the bar held in the tail stock to at least get the work piece near to the required alignment.

Well after an extended attempt trying to get the work piece true using a supporting copper dowel in the tail stock think I need to rethink my approach.

Certainly reducing the speed to 400 divided by the stock diameter in inches improved the cutting surface finish but when trying to part off the work piece the bar stock keeps coming lose or jamming and stalling the drive.

In short, lack of lathe working knowledge is preventing progress so will need to seek help from a friend who has a far larger lathe and a lot more experience.

2 hours ago, Andy J said:

Well after an extended attempt trying to get the work piece true using a supporting copper dowel in the tail stock think I need to rethink my approach.

Certainly reducing the speed to 400 divided by the stock diameter in inches improved the cutting surface finish but when trying to part off the work piece the bar stock keeps coming lose or jamming and stalling the drive.

In short, lack of lathe working knowledge is preventing progress so will need to seek help from a friend who has a far larger lathe and a lot more experience.

Hey Andy,

What lathe and tooling are you using?