Laser 310FT

Ron Gray

Another thing that comes with using these lighter (than APC) props is that you have to really tune the slow running as there is a lot less flywheel action to help the tickover! On grass it’s not so much of an issue but on tarmac the tickover needs to be slow enough to prevent creep, either that or tighten the wheel collets!

On 03/05/2023 at 07:40, Simon Bulk said:

Hi Jon.

The FT310 is really a beauty of an engine! Here are 2 short questions:

1. If I see right, in contrast to the instructions of all other Vee engines you use a a Y-Adapter for the fuel supply. So: One Tank, one fuel line, one tank clunck. Right? Why was that changed? Is there anything different in the Twin design that you can easily get rid off the prior solution with 2 fuel lines or 2 tanks?

2. Maybe this one has already been discussed in another thread, but: Even though more complex, have you ever considered to built a real boxer FT? So, 2 individual, opposed crank throws?

Best 

Simon

Your question makes me realise i dont understand how this ft is different from a  Boxer or, therefor  what a boxer is!

43 minutes ago, Ron Gray said:

In a boxer engine the pistons move in an out together, ie both in, both out. The non boxer is where one piston moves out and the other in, at the same time.

And in the old Fiat 500 I had as a student, the two cylinders were in line and both pistons moved up and down together. Couple that with clapped out shock absorbers and, if you didn’t adjust the idling speed very carefully, you could get severe motion sickness without going anywhere. 

5 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

For sound the ft310 and 160i stole the show for me

I love them both Jon, and all the others too! I just wish that I could have got the Hurri up as well but my own fault for not checking it out before I travelled to Bucko (see my post above!!!).