Laser 310FT

Ron Gray

2 minutes ago, Outrunner said:

That looks really nice Ron👍 but I think it will need more than a rubber sucker to mount it on the firewall😄

It does look like one doesn’t it? I think that it’s designed to reduce vibration and to double as a drain unblocker.

I do agree Jon, it is such a nice shape and well balanced looks too. From memory it used to fly really well, in fact I used it as my entry into F3A! But that was at least 5 years ago and it’s been gathering dust ever since.

So with the DLE removed I can see that I need a 12mm stand-off ring to push the 310 forwards a bit, so over to the laser (small l not L).

Will post photos later but I’ve set myself a target of flying it at our club’s ‘Season’s Opener’ on the 16th. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Jon - Laser Engines said:

I hadnt seen a photo of the big revolver before. It so much better looking than the small one. 

There were actually two smaller ones: the 46 size and the 65 size. Both look pretty similar to this larger one and the 65 size virtually identical. The 46 was the most fun RC model of its size I have had, flew like a bomb (with OS55AX) and was great on windy days. 65 (with Saito 125, I think) flew more sedately, but nice in its own way. I wish these were still available.

Things have moved on, slowly! A lot more work than I thought, the DLE did have a canister fitted so I've had to close in the tunnel that that occupied plus I decided to make the cowl a bit stronger where it had been cut for the DLE and the can. The whole fuel system was replaced, it did have a lovely clear (big) tank but I wasn't too sure if it was suitable for glow fuel and I couldn't remember if I had used Tygon fuel tubing it all cam out and new put in. A new throttle run was also required plus I'm currently finishing off the glow plug wires. So, assuming the props I ordered off KLM today arrive in time it should be ready for a re-maiden on Sunday at the Wacky Races day.

IMG_7785.thumb.jpeg.c4038884ac816ddc8187e8dd41909e20.jpeg

• Like 2

I have raised the tank 30mm up from the ply support, but I must admit that I haven't done a final check yet so thanks for reminding me! Fortunately I raised it using 2 layers of EVA foam so it's an easy job to drop it down. Everything else is now done so just got to see how I will transport it to the site, when I flew it before I had a VW camper van so it wasn't an issue, it will probably have to go on the trailer.

Now I've just got to remember where I put the wings for it

Edited by Ron Gray

3 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

Nice build Ron...is it me or is that tank a bit high?

The middle of the tank should be basically in line with the crankshaft in this case. That puts the top almost dead in line with the hole in the backplate for the T piece/the top of the black radial mount (see red line on drawing). In truth i would probably the tank it through the firewall too so its as close to the engine as possible. 

310 tank.png

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines

Thanks Jon, I will have a look at it today but had already thought about removing one layer of foam which should drop it dead in line as per your drawing. I could move the tank forward but too far and it would mean me having to build a platform in the stand off box in front of the firewall to support the front of the tank. My Giant Super Sportster (200 in-line) also has its tank in a similar position which doesn’t seem to affect the performance so I may just leave as is and see how it goes.

Well I do have plenty of foam (!) so I could laser cut a nice (foam) box for it to sit in. As a matter of interest, why the need to position the tank further forward, I can understand it if the feed pipe is loose and can bounce around but if that is 'fixed' then what are the potential issues?

1/4 of a tank full and a vertical climb would cause it to lean out (that's a long way for the carbs to suck!), might restart of the downward travel, but unlikely.

I thought this is why Jon recommends the tank height as explained, roll inverted and the worst is it runs a bit rich but less likely to dead stick on you.

With my 180 in a Yak I ignored Jon's advice to fit a single tank and went for two side by side, ran great for quite a few flights. Then one day I was enjoying repetitive bunts and after the third it quit. Put a single tank in and its no problem so should have just followed Jon's advice in the first place 😉

2 hours ago, Chris Walby said:

1/4 of a tank full and a vertical climb would cause it to lean out (that's a long way for the carbs to suck!)

Fair point but I don't think I'm going to be doing many reach for the stars manoeuvres, some big loops hopefully. But in deference to what has been said I can easily move the tank forwards into the box.