Kaboom?

Cuban8

2.00 pm ourtime today sees Elon Musk's giant Starship rocket system go for an all up orbital test today. 

I really don't know what to make of this, the vehicle looks almost cartoon like in appearance, the rest as though they've recycled a job lot of old oil refinery gear.

Their Dragon and Falcon systems are excellent and are becoming very reliable but the Super Heavy and Starship really don't pass the "if it looks right" test.

Mr Musk doesn't appear overly confident when he  said " if we wind up with the launch complex in one piece, I'll be happy".

Not going to miss this, I guess we know something about pre-first flight nerves but this is on a totally different level. Wish 'em well.

Advert

It started to spin out of control before stage separation so the flight termination explosives were activated.

In this video at 2:04 it appears no less 5 of the 33 raptors had failed, maybe exceeding the ability of the central vectored raptors to control?

Still a mighty impressive launch.

Edited by Simon Chaddock
  • Like 2

On the TV news coverage, they didn't have a clue as to what was going on, the vehicle was obviously in trouble  - where's James Burke when you need him?- showing my age, I'm afraid.

Mightily impressive lift off, but 33 engines? It does make you wonder. A lot of little 'uns or fewer big 'uns. Advantages and disadvantages to each method and back in the day the Soviets went one way and the USA the other - look where that wound up.

Not brilliant to lose five of thirty three engines - a lot depends on whether they were precautionary shut downs or actual failures. Interesting to get the full debrief.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 3

Apollo 13's first stage centre engine failed, this did not effect the mission as the others were burned a little longer.  Of course later problems led to near disaster.

Edited by J D 8
correction