Keil Kraft Gypsy. Electric conversion info needed

Hi All,

In a complete departure from building large models, I recently picked up the re-released Keil Kraft Gypsy kit which I am looking forward to building.  I would like to convert it to electric power and probably two channel on motor and rudder.

I thought that there would have been quite a few who have already gone this way but on this occasion Mr Google has let me down.  I was sure that I had seen something on this forum but can't find it now.

Can anyone help or offer a suggestion?  A geared motor turning a large prop would be ideal but maybe asking too much.  

Radio fit not such a problem but thoughts on Motor/ESC/Battery most welcome.

regards & thanks

stu k

Stu,

If you had mentioned this a few days ago I could have saved you some time and brought you a ready made one. 🤩

Did this one in 2016 with a proper engine    os20 FS   😎  Still hanging up in the garage so you never know ???

Jimbo

Gipsy.JPG.f23cc69bbf147702fc8d1f15c8559a31.JPG

Hello Jim,

Good to hear from you.  Sent you a PM.   Lovely build of the scaled up Gypsy although in a complete break from the heavyweights I fancy the rubber powered size to waft around the garden in the late evening stillness.  The one in the video is just what I imagined.  I'm just tracking down the bits needed right now

3 minutes ago, Alfred e williams said:

Thanks for promp reply Shaun. Could this plan be used for electric flight, or would  it need beefing up in some areas ?  Cheers

Not sure, the original rubber powered model is the basis for the video link I posted earlier which should give you what you need .

9 minutes ago, Alfred e williams said:

Thanks for promp reply Shaun. Could this plan be used for electric flight, or would  it need beefing up in some areas ?  Cheers

Construction of the model in the video looks very similar to the plan, you may want to reinforce the front former to ensure it will hold the motor securely, I dare say that the stresses on the fuselage of a rubber driven model will be different to those on an electric model. 

Hi All,

Sorry to be a pain but I'm back with another question.  Well, the same question as in the OP. I thought that I was sorted but as it turns out, not so.

In the YT video above the specs for the electric set up used are given as follows;-

2s 280mah lipo

Turnigy ESC 10amp Brushless

X2204-21 1800KV

10" plastic prop

The motor can be seen in the video at time 2.01   It's a pretty flat, large diameter brushless motor slightly different to anything that I have seen before.  I should say that I know nothing about lekky and motor designations.

I have searched for that motor designation.  The ones with the closest numbers are described as for racing drones - which I would have thought are intended for small, fast revving props, the exact opposite of my requirements in the KK Gypsy.

I also mailed a well known supplier of well known motor / esc combos but haven't had anything back yet so at the moment I'm at the end of the road.

Can anyone point me towards a motor of a similar spec to the X220421 1800KV thats (a) suitable for ultralight models and large slow revving props and (b) Available in the UK.

Thanks for reading.  If you need advice on glow motors and petrol up to 80cc - I'm all over it but this stuff is a foreign land to me.

regards,

Stu K

Hi Stu, Try Electric Wingman for a motor. Either a Sunnysky or a T-motor. They weigh around 20g and have a kv of 1500 or 1800, either of which should be fine. They are designed for planes and have built in prop savers. A 10'' prop is too big. A 9x4.7 slowfly prop is usual but for the Gypsy an 8x4 would produce more than enough power. It doesn't need much. Somebody at our club flies one but I don't know what motor he uses I'm afraid. It wafts about very nicely with hardly any throttle at all. Mind you, last time I saw him fly it he was doing consecutive loops with it, so whatever floats your boat I suppose. Looked all wrong to me.