Spektrum Servo Arms

Advert

9 minutes ago, Tosh McCaber said:

Unfortunately there are several differences in splines on servos throughout the manufacturers.  Right from the beginning, when there were no splines- just differently sized square pegs!

As well as different numbers of splines, the shaft diameters vary too.

I have spektrum ESC's and receivers etc but not their servos. 

The models I am flying at the moment all came pre fitted but I have been buying JR servos on the recommendation of Kings Lynn models. I have one other type ( and the name escapes me for now ) but you have got me curious now ..... guess what I'll be checking when I get back from holiday.

Sorry I couldn't answer.

Toto

48 minutes ago, toto said:

You would like to think the arms would be a universal fit between most manufacturers. 

Toto

Welcome to earth 😉 or more particularly Welcome to RC World.

Unfortunately you'd think that, but it's far from the reality - most servo discs and arms are not interchangeable, even within a manufacturer's range, which can contain a large number of different sizes and functions of servos there will be a lot of variation. Between manufacturers there is no real interchangeability, the diameter, number of splines, screw fixing diameter and length are all variable. 

Once you accumulate a large number of servos from different manufacturers it's quite a task to keep track of the arms, discs and fittings. I use two compartmentalised boxes, one for Futaba one for Hitec for the majority of my servo hardware, but other minority manufacturers like the Parkzone and EFlite servos from Horizon, Tower Pro, Ripmax, Union, Saturn, Graupner, Dynam etc are labelled as best as I can, but still result in searching for exactly the right arm at times. 

Luckily storage of Durafly servos is easy, the council provide suitable storage containers for those, they are tall, green, with blue, green or brown lids, have big wheels and sit outdoors.

• Like 1

According to SMC - JR servo arms should fit.

The DS821 is Spektrum standard digital servo design. The servo is the equivalent to the JR DS589 from which it’s based. The servo accepts standard JR output horns and features a new longer-lasting gear train. The servo is a perfect upgrade for sports pilots in small/medium size applications. Not recommended for helicopter use or installations subject to high vibration levels.

• Like 1

Just to confuse Toto, quite a few ARTF's have handed servos. e.g. one travels in one direction and the other in the opposite direction as it saves a channel or servo reverser!

Applications I have come across where this has been done are gear doors, nose wheel steering and flap servos ether just because they can spec or they can't be bothered to design the issue out...guess if you are buying hundreds at a time the servo manufacturer will accommodate the request.

Have others come across other applications?