Bowman Miles Magister resurrection thread.

martin collins 1

I know there are several of you out there that have or have had one of these large Maggie`s in the past, feel free to chip in with thoughts or reminiscences regarding yours. I picked this one up at a bring and buy earlier this year and it has obviously given good service in the past but not been flown for a long time judging by the dust on it when acquired, the tailplane, elevators and rudder have been built up rather than sheet so someone has gone to some trouble to lighten the rear end. I have decided to get this in the air fairly quickly as i will be going to the Shipdham Fly In on the 11th August and wanted something with me that will handle windy conditions better than my smaller electrics as this year seems to be destined to be a blowy one. I have had an old Kalt 22cc petrol sitting in a box for the last 20 years, it was a good reliable engine that last flew in a Pegasus models Tipsy Nipper, i kept the engine when i sold the airframe as it was such an easy starting reliable motor, i test ran it again about 6 months ago so this is going to be fitted. The original set up in this model was a single centre wing servo with bowden cables, it obviously worked so i am not going to start cutting the foam wing about to modify for separate aileron servos and cabling, it will be new servos all round, fit the motor, tank etc and go fly it. What i don`t have is a cowl, anyone have an old (or new) one kicking around or know someone who can supply? Will post some more pics once it is ready to fly.

IMG_20230725_113407_resized_20230725_113437628.jpg

IMG_20230725_114627_resized_20230725_114651816.jpg

• Like 2

Advert

Very nice Roy, mine is just going to be a large general flyer without any scale detail to speak of, will probably get a pilot of some sort, i will be using the plane and engine to get me back into petrol flying as i have another couple of large airframes that are beyond 6s which is the limit for all my electric aircraft. It will probably get repainted eventually, i have several nice civil schemes to chose from....

I had an idea I what if there is a current kit out there of an aircraft thats about the same size/scale and used the Gipsey Major engine. After some head scratching and several searches, I hit on the DB Auster J1 it looks about right. So this morning I’ve emailed Richard Bristow at DB Sports and Scale with the dimensions. Now fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Roy, Those cockpit dashboard panels look outstanding!.  Dash panels are something that I like to do and have had quite good results using a Craft robo cutter to cut the holes in card.  I've never been able to make a job of the dial rims.  How have you done yours??

Nice compass' too

Thanks Stu, the panels are drawn in Fusion 360 and 3D printed in PLA. The instruments are printed on photo paper. In Feb’s RCM&E there’s a feature by Brian Hoddy, I sort of followed this. The hardest part was sanding the panels to remove the lines from the printing and finding the instruments images. 

Nearly but not nearly enough, that a shame. I had a nice email back from Richard about the DB Auster J1 cowl, it was worth a try. This is part of what he had to say.

“These are pictures from a scrap cowl I was using to scan but it's good enough for photos. 
Although close, it's not really the same shape, the sides are flat so it's all a bit more 'square' than yours, it looks more like a Tiger Moth cowl without the side indentations.

Polish it up and make a mould out of it maybe although that's a bunch of work. (Richard is referring to my unused cowl and I think it may be the way to go if I had the know how)

Kind Regards,
Richard Bristow

The last picture is my un-started cow, I’d be happy to give it ago and use it as a plug to make a mould, but would need someone with a bit of knowhow to give some guidance first. 

Cowl2red.jpeg

Cowl1red.jpeg

IMG_1540.jpeg

Edited by Roy Thompson

That sounds like a good Idea.

3 hours ago, martin collins 1 said:

I have emailed a fibreglass moulder near me who i have used before on my classic cars, sent him the pictures and asked for a price for a mould and 3 cowls, i will let you know when i hear 

I may have a go at drawing it up in CAD and see how I get on. If you break it down 5 parts (front, top, bottom and sides) they would fit the 3D printer.

• Like 1

As a matter of interest, how much dose your Kalt 22 weigh!

I ask this as mine came with a small amount of lead up front; 620g, and I’m assuming that in it day it may have had a OS 120 with muffler at say 1000g. So I guess about 1.6Kg hanging off the firewall. Currently we have an out-runner 375g plus 6S battery, say 6 to 700g which puts the set up on par with the glow motor providing I reinstate the small amount of lead.

Not sure how much it weighs, fairly heavy compared to modern 2 stroke petrol engines with electronic ignition, in the end i have added 4.9 oz of lead to the tail end to balance it, it will need more once the new cowl is added to the front end when i have it. The Maggie is now ready for engine runs and a first flight at the back end of the week, just got to sort out mixing the oil and fuel to the correct ratio.

Edited by martin collins 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, RottenRow said:

I was quite wary of mine during its early flights due to its size (at least 50% bigger than anything else I had at the time) but soon got used to it.

I have flown a few larger ones than this over the years Brian, had a Zero which was modified to look like a Nate which was about 10" larger but had a Zenoah 62cc on it, lovely flier, sold it to a mate. Not flown petrol for about 18 years so just getting used to tuning the carb, think i`ve got it pretty close.

Nate.JPG

• Like 2