Flair SE5A

Steamup

I have had great fun building this model added extra detail with plasticard. Also added the riblets (is that what they are called?) between the main ribs to improve the appearance. Just waiting for a break in the weather for the maiden. 

IMG_20230518_114404.jpg

IMG_20230302_162402_239.jpg

IMG_20230302_162402_247.jpg

IMG_20230302_162246_740.jpg

IMG_20230202_182032_485.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Advert

Very high standard of workmanship - well done. Was the pilot figure a commercial item or DIY? He looks very authentic either way. We've had a few Flair SE5s in our club, they fly very well but I think that they need to be 'flown' - certainly not a trainer and benign as the Puppeteer. Look forward to seeing flying shots if you can get some. Can't understand why the Flair Scout Kits remain unavailable - they'd sell like hotcakes.

Always enjoy seeing Old Warden's geniune SE5a - really was WW1's Spitfire.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

A stunning build.  My Flair SE5a, my 3rd model after a trainer and a Precedent Funfly and built 25+ years ago, looks like a different kit altogether.  How is it powered?  I converted mine to electric 3 years ago from an OS52 Surpass so I'm interested in your choice.

I also had one 25 years ago with an OS 61fs, a fantastic plane that the engine fell off on landing, eaten away by oil and methanol after years of flying,

I repaired it and made it into a single low winged plane with an OS 48 surpass. It ended its life when I did one of my trick flying through the two trees on take off when I hit a branch, it later claimed my Black Baron Special, also a fantastic plane, piloted by me a silly pilot.😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Geoff S said:

A stunning build.  My Flair SE5a, my 3rd model after a trainer and a Precedent Funfly and built 25+ years ago, looks like a different kit altogether.  How is it powered?  I converted mine to electric 3 years ago from an OS52 Surpass so I'm interested in your choice.

Thank you for your kind works it's an OS 48 up front

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Robson said:

What Mr Steamup has omitted is the fact that the decals are all hand painted directly onto the model.

Makes me sick when I look at my feeble attempts, having seen it during the painting stage I can only say well done Mark, why did you not fly it yesterday? 

Cheers Eric ,one lunatic in the club is enough 😆

1 hour ago, Steamup said:

Thank you for your kind works it's an OS 48 up front

You solved the exhaust exit problem a lot better than I did with my OS52.  At the time, I wasn't aware of the right angled exhaust adapters that Just Engines sell.  Either I was too new in the game or they weren't available in 1994.  I tried a platsic pipe through the fire wall and out the bottom of the fuselage which never worked really well.  I mounted the engine on a Paxolin plate, which did work OK.

Good luck with the maiden.  The OS48 will be more than adequate power.

Those Flair models would sell like hot cakes if they were restored to the market.  Even better if they were updated with CNC cut parts.

4 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

You solved the exhaust exit problem a lot better than I did with my OS52.  At the time, I wasn't aware of the right angled exhaust adapters that Just Engines sell.  Either I was too new in the game or they weren't available in 1994.  I tried a platsic pipe through the fire wall and out the bottom of the fuselage which never worked really well.  I mounted the engine on a Paxolin plate, which did work OK.

Good luck with the maiden.  The OS48 will be more than adequate power.

Those Flair models would sell like hot cakes if they were restored to the market.  Even better if they were updated with CNC cut parts.

I really wanted the engine to be enclose it still took some doing getting it all in but worth the effort.

Couldn't agree more regarding the Flair kits I have a Fokker D7 which I love flying (massively over powered with a Saito 100) and another still in the box.