Tarting up some old Laser 75's

Engine Doctor

This might be of interest to some of you. I bought a couple of old Laser 75's at a swap-meet earlier this year. Both have decent compression so thought I would give them a refurb. 

I originally intended to convert one to a marine unit as a marine four-stroke sounds really good . However the cost of some brass rod of the diameter needed was rich so shelved the idea for now. I wanted brass as our local lake is brackish and it kills alloy in short order . I might have a go later making a water jacket from alloy and use a heat exchanger so not to cause damage to engine . 

Anyway with engines all cleaned and ready to re-assemble using new bearings i found i had to make a replacement PTFE gudgeon pin pad as one mysteriously disappeared ? Piston rings seemed ok so after removing and cleaning the grooves were re-fitted . 

I decided to brighten them up by anodising some of the casings . The results can be  seen below . All parts were done in the same bath at the same time but obviously the different alloys take up the dye at different rates .

124_2674.JPG

124_2675.JPG

Im currently looking for a couple of laser mufflers if anyone has a couple lying around . The ones i have have been battered and dented so a couple of fresher ones would be nice .  If you have anything let me know but no silly prices please.

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 5

Advert

45 minutes ago, Engine Doctor said:

This might be of interest to some of you. I bought a couple of old Laser 75's at a swap-meet earlier this year. Both have decent compression so thought I would give them a refurb. 

I originally intended to convert one to a marine unit as a marine four-stroke sounds really good . However the cost of some brass rod of the diameter needed was rich so shelved the idea for now. I wanted brass as our local lake is brackish and it kills alloy in short order . I might have a go later making a water jacket from alloy and use a heat exchanger so not to cause damage to engine . 

Anyway with engines all cleaned and ready to re-assemble using new bearings i found i had to make a replacement PTFE gudgeon pin pad as one mysteriously disappeared ? Piston rings seemed ok so after removing and cleaning the grooves were re-fitted . 

I decided to brighten them up by anodising some of the casings . The results can be  seen below . All parts were done in the same bath at the same time but obviously the different alloys take up the dye at different rates .

124_2674.JPG

124_2675.JPG

Im currently looking for a couple of laser mufflers if anyone has a couple lying around . The ones i have have been battered and dented so a couple of fresher ones would be nice .  If you have anything let me know but no silly prices please.

I might have an original small one kicking around I will have a look if you are interested postage costs only 

• Thanks 1

Very nice ed....

I have a merco 61 single glow plug from memory if you need any measuring done but since your marinising a laser perhaps not relevant.

You going to use thermosyphon ( probably not good enough ), geared pump or even an electric pump through an onboard heat exchanger or outside of hull "tube"......?

Interesting project none the less.

I am still at the "jotting ideas down on paper" stage for a pull start mechanism with recoil, centrifugal clutch/electro clutch, gearbox to achieve some sort of reverse which may be electro selection, even ic driven Genny then electric powered.....

That actual project is for the future as I will need some sort of trailer that will pass through the kissing gates on way to the lake, far too heavy to carry stuff.

I did make a seagull ob motor type pull start that holds the flywheel on which works and on board glow system.

Would prefer petrol powered but not found strimmer motor small enough. I know Kawasaki make an 18cc air cooled 2t motor with centrifugal clutch...

As said, future project...projects.....

Huntsman, the longer wood one but have a f/glass perkasa in the loft.....

Hi Alan Unlikely Ill be down there .I know Bert but rarely see him , I live in kent and likely will be at the southern model show .otherwise could you post ? Will Pm you my address .

regards.

PM sent

PS  anyone  looking I'm still looking for a second  ehxaust 

Edited by Engine Doctor