Buckle Galahad

Fitting a 4 stroke engine would be more out of character for the Galahad than ailerons.

I built & flew one in the late 1960's or early 1970's as my first or second aileron model. It had reduced dihedral, reduced incidence & strip ailerons, power was an non-throttled Fox 15 later changed for a throttled version Fox 25. 

The original was designed for aerobatics, albeit without ailerons but it was developed to have them as in Andy's link. 

PS mine was nylon covered.

Edited by PatMc

1 hour ago, Phil Green said:

...but that would miss the whole ethos of the Galahad 🙂

The modification was made by the Frank Knowles in 1962 so I would call that an authentic change to the original design. I built the original Mercury kit in 1975 as a club display model with a Veco 19. The BB Galahad kit I have in store, I'm tempted to apply the aileron mods to if I build it.

• Like 1

I built the original Mercury version last year. I'd actually had the kit for about 40 years before I got round to building it!

Mine turns just fine without ailerons.  I've powered mine with a PAW 19 and covered it with tissue over Doculam to give it a bit more puncture protection.

Despite having the aerodynamic qualities of a wardrobe I actually had to bring it down from a thermal the last time I flew it. 

IMG_20220914_113544000_HDR.thumb.jpg.abff2244334c6f34ff8517d90b77f451.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well this build is fun but it shows that I havent installed a glow motor for a very, very long time!  All the little tricks and traps we learn over a lifetime are coming out of the woodwork -  literally -  and usually one screw too late!

I must say the model is a beaut and the saito 30 looks a dream in its mount. (just test fitted in photo)  A long way to go but the fuselage is well under way.  Ive never been a fast builder and this is no exception, but I am finding it deeply satisfying to once again bash balsa, especially knowing this will be classic dope and tissue, 3 ch radio (sadly no trailing aerial pinned to the tail...).  I havent been this excited over a model for a long time.  

saito gallahad.jpeg

Edited by David perry 1
  • Like 1

I must admit I am more into building than flying these days, the workshop is a lot closer than the flying field after all 😄😄 I have a couple of plans from Mr Knowles stable, the Andromeda and Stringalong awaiting their turn on the building board.Just a personal observation l would be inclined to move the engine back an inch or there abouts I think it will help with the balance and looks ,following with interest. 

5 minutes ago, jeff2wings said:

I must admit I am more into building than flying these days, the workshop is a lot closer than the flying field after all 😄😄 I have a couple of plans from Mr Knowles stable, the Andromeda and Stringalong awaiting their turn on the building board.Just a personal observation l would be inclined to move the engine back an inch or there abouts I think it will help with the balance and looks ,following with interest. 

I agree, but theres no where for it to go back!  F1 is blocking it!  Behind F1 is the tank bay.  The PAW on John T's also protrudes quite a long way.  

46 minutes ago, jeff2wings said:

The engine plate sits on wood blocks yes? Cut top of f1 flush with blocks, move engine  and adjust tank bay to suit, there should be room still for a 4oz tank that will be plenty for a 30fs

Job done.  Looks much better now.  A few steps backward but the end result will be nicer.  Thanks for pointing it out chaps.