The Flycatcher ... How suitable for a novice builder

toto

And before you ask .... yes ... buy first .... ask second :classic_biggrin:

I have been through Lindsay Todd's thread on this and it looks fantastic. Very unusual and great fun. But ..... what's the reality ?

It looks like a kit that is not too involved. Maybe my inexperience shiny through again so let's here it. 

I've got my flak jacket on ..... so come on ..... full metal jacket time.

Toto

Advert

1 hour ago, toto said:

And before you ask .... yes ... buy first .... ask second :classic_biggrin:

I have been through Lindsay Todd's thread on this and it looks fantastic. Very unusual and great fun. But ..... what's the reality ?

It looks like a kit that is not too involved. Maybe my inexperience shiny through again so let's here it. 

I've got my flak jacket on ..... so come on ..... full metal jacket time.

Toto

The answer is "it's not"

I have just built one and in my opinion there are too many inaccuracies in the plan and build notes for a novice builder.

It was not a difficult build, but required experienced building techniques to overcome some of the problems I was presented with while building (call it second guessing and Modify on the hoof").

There are several areas on the plan where the geometry does not work.

I will say though, that it turned out a nice model and the man I built it for is really pleased.

I was impressed with the pilot he 3D printed for it.

It also balanced spot on without any additional nose weight and I had built the rear fuselage from spruce.

Overall a nice model (if you like the style), but certainly not one for a novice to build.

Edited by kevin b

I started with the DW J3 Cub 1200 wingspan. The idea being, as it's a flat wing, to build on the kitchen table during the cold winter months. I leaned at lot as I found it a very steep learning curve that was not as easy as I first thought. The one lesson I did learn was that every build is practise for the next. Having now got in to double figures I am beginning to know what to expect, but only just.🤣

Steve

• Like 2

Looking forward to getting cracking with the Kestrel but .... later in the year and on completion of the ARTF's that have been started / planned.

I see cold, dark winter nights with my small electric heater on the go. :classic_biggrin:

It will be interesting.

Toto

10 hours ago, EarlyBird said:

I started with the DW J3 Cub 1200 wingspan. The idea being, as it's a flat wing, to build on the kitchen table during the cold winter months. I leaned at lot as I found it a very steep learning curve that was not as easy as I first thought. The one lesson I did learn was that every build is practise for the next. Having now got in to double figures I am beginning to know what to expect, but only just.🤣

Steve

53 minutes ago, toto said:

Looking forward to getting cracking with the Kestrel but .... later in the year and on completion of the ARTF's that have been started / planned.

I see cold, dark winter nights with my small electric heater on the go. :classic_biggrin:

It will be interesting.

Toto

My second and third builds were a Druine Turbulent from a plan and a Flair SE 5A, by no means was I a competent builder, both got finished and both got flown, happy days.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...