SLEC Hinge Slitting Jig

At the Wings of Wheels show I picked up a few SLEC tools - none that I had an immediate need for, none that I could not get by without, but they were cheap so I gave in.

One is the hinge slitting jig, this one

https://www.slecuk.com/hinge-slitting-jig-inc-screws

I have exactly what is in the photo, but there are no instructions to speak of so I’m not entirely sure how to assemble it but especially how to use it.

Any guidance welcomed.

The inner rectangular part has thin corners because they are hinges, so it forms a flexible parallelogram.

The lower part has a slot for a cutter, and the holes in the end of that engage with the corresponding holes in the parallelogram, with the screws.

Taking account the winnets of information above, the dubro video should make sense.

It may be just me, but I like to drill a small hole to mark the end of the intended slot before attacking it with a scalpel - helps to stop the slit becoming a split. Then, to turn the slit into a slot, I have a small double ended saw blade that fits in a scalpel handle - it came in one of those cheap craft kits full of odd shaped and not very sharp blades. It’s the only bit I use from that set but it’s certainly earned its keep over the years, exclusively for widening hinge slots.

• Like 1

I do similar Trevor. I have a 'one sided thin file' that I use for carefully opening the hinge slot. The one-sided-ness allows me to fine tune the slot's position (but not by very much at all, so I have to get it as close as possible when initially making the slot).

Edited by Nigel R

7 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Obtaining good results with these things is simple

Place in bin

Use proper marking gauge

Cut slot with strongest knife blade you have

Now I look at it and understand how it works I’m inclined to agree with you.

I actually think I’d prefer marking and cutting by hand.

Cheers,

Nigel

8 hours ago, Nigel R said:

Obtaining good results with these things is simple

Place in bin

Use proper marking gauge

Cut slot with strongest knife blade you have

The thing is pretty damned good at putting dings in the top & bottom of the TE strip, you have just spent ages shaping😂

Agree with marking out & using knife free-hand to cut slot. I also find poking the end of a 6" steel rule (or hack saw blade) into the slot, is a good way to increase the width slightly for thicker hinges.

Regards

Dave.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I agree with above comments re the slec one - too flexible.

I use a biro to mark slot , cut the slot and then  reuse the biro to indent the balsa to partially inset hinges .

The more solid slot marker in Goldberg kits works quite well as well, doing both the marking and the hinge insetting.

john