Can you identify this Spitfire?

David Davis

A fellow expatriate Englishman has acquired a few model aeroplanes and asked me to have a look at them and to suggest how much they may be worth.

Among them is a beautifully finished Spitfire with a six foot (183cms) wingspan and fitted with what looks like an OS 120 FS engine but I wasn't able to remove it from the model so it may be a clone. It's obviously a late mark Spitfire because it features invasion stripes. It has a pneumatic retractable undercarriage with oleos, proper split flaps and all of the servos appear to be there but it lacks a receiver. The most unusual aspect of the model is that it has a fibre glass fuselage.

It's obviously too small to be a Mick Reeves or DB Sport & Scale Spitfire and too big to be a Cambrian.

1. Does anyone have any idea who made this kit?

2. What do you think it's worth?

Difficult to say without a picture, there are multiple Spitfires in the size range that you mention. Just two examples at that size described below.

I just sold a CM Pro Spitfire, which I'd been sold a few weeks ago, which has an ASP120, is 70" span and has a fibreglass fuselage. However the small tailfin and short moment arm was  just a bit too off scale for me and I don;t fly any IC models and figured this would take 8s1p batteries to do it justice, so on balance given the very stand off scale appearance I moved it on to a clubmate at a bargain price

I also have a Retlas Spitfire, which has a beautiful fibreglass fuselage and is very scale in outline, the same size as the CM Pro Spitfire, but a credible representation of a Mark Vb Spitfire. That will be worth the effort to install an 8s1p power train IMO, as it's a beauty. So the Spitfire in question could conceivably be a Retlas model.

Bear in mind that just because it has invasion stripes it doesn't necessarily mean it's a late Mark Spitfire - artistic licence and a desire to see the model in the air is not all that uncommon 😄

Could be a Retlas spitfire. Made by a firm in Kent near or in Ashford in the lare 70's  and through to early 90's if memory serves. I refurbished one for a mate earlier this year. Span is around 6ft. Foam veneered wings . They were a Mk 9 I believe . The fuz has carbon tows around the inside at various points to stiffen it. 

Edited by Engine Doctor

The Retlas Spitfire is a Mark V - leastwise that is what the instructions say. Here is my clubmate Graham's version, painted as his uncle's aeroplane.433294052_RetlasSpitfire.thumb.jpg.b6a503374f92adeda6ca49ecda59afa0.jpg

The witch riding a V1 on the nose is a pretty strong pointer towards the ESM/YT Spitfire in this case though.

Edited by leccyflyer
  • Like 1

Like any second hand model it's worth what an interested party would give for it. eBay gives an indication of likely value, but for a model that size it would need to be collection only, which does impact the value. A Brian Taylor Spitfire, slightly smaller, with a 75 four stroke went for £375 a few weeks ago and I could see this going for that sort of money as a private sale, maybe a bit less at a swapmeet.

16 hours ago, leccyflyer said:

The Retlas Spitfire is a Mark V - leastwise that is what the instructions say. Here is my clubmate Graham's version, painted as his uncle's aeroplane.433294052_RetlasSpitfire.thumb.jpg.b6a503374f92adeda6ca49ecda59afa0.jpg

The witch riding a V1 on the nose is a pretty strong pointer towards the ESM/YT Spitfire in this case though.

You correct Leccyflyer , But I have been to sleep a few times since the refurb 😉

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Haha 1