Hello... from a new old newbie..

FiddleSticks

Hi Guys,

Thought i'd start off and do the sociable thing and say hi..

Used to fly in the southeast around 20 years ago down in hastings. Started with a 3 channel tranier that had an MDS21, later upgraded to an OS25LA. Ditched that into a footie pitch and went home with matches and a new engine that needed head surgery lol.

Then switched to a raptor 30 helo, got moaned at by a neighbour about the noise and gave up - flying field was miles away, no transport etc. Eventually sold the raptor (silly prat) after giving up on it.

So 20 odd years have flown by, i'm a dad now and my 8 year old son loves this stuff. We went to headcorn (aka southern) model airshow again this year and picked him up a little polystyrene 3 channel thing for fifty quid. Built in gyro makes it fly nicely! Was my first flight in over 20 years.. he loves it too. We've got a couple of leccy choppers between us - airwolf is mine (needs a new swashplate) and his is a Lama which news a new set of poles in the middle lol.

I've also got two raptors, an unflown and incomplete 30 v2 and a 50 that i bought from someone else - RTF via ebay. Only snag is i got there andit was a wreck! Still i took it as all the accessories alone (Tx, Rx, etc) made it worthwhile.

Anyhow.. will be posting in the other forums after this thread..

FS

• Like 1

Advert

Welcome back to the hobby and to the forum, Fiddlesticks. 

There’s a wealth of knowledge here and you may find things a little different now.  IC and helicopters have become less popular with the advent of electric power and drones although there are many diehards who refuse to migrate totally to the “spark” side. 

One major difference is the requirement to register both the operator and pilot to comply with the law, if flying anything above 250g.  If you had an A certificate it will simplify things a little but the registration test is simple and practically impossible to fail. There is now a small (£10 odd) annual fee to pay to the CAA and a requirement to display a registration number on the model.   Recognised association members (e.g. BMFA) have exemptions from several of the new regulations such as the maximum height of 400’ AGL. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

Welcome back to the hobby and to the forum, Fiddlesticks. 

There’s a wealth of knowledge here and you may find things a little different now.  IC and helicopters have become less popular with the advent of electric power and drones although there are many diehards who refuse to migrate totally to the “spark” side. 

One major difference is the requirement to register both the operator and pilot to comply with the law, if flying anything above 250g.  If you had an A certificate it will simplify things a little but the registration test is simple and practically impossible to fail. There is now a small (£10 odd) annual fee to pay to the CAA and a requirement to display a registration number on the model.   Recognised association members (e.g. BMFA) have exemptions from several of the new regulations such as the maximum height of 400’ AGL. 

Thanks for the welcome.

I have noticed IC seems less popular, trying to get hold of glow fuel has been a pain. Even at the sourthern model show it was impossible to get hold of - pilots there were complaining too as none of the traders had any. Somehow they managed to keep flying but there were a fair number grumbling about it.

Cheers for the info on CAA, I thought it was just drones but i shall be looking into that and registering. I also need to get onto BMFA too..

Whats happened to the nexus plans service? - I've found the plan I wanted elsewhere but the nexus plans service seems to have vanished?

1 hour ago, FiddleSticks said:

Thanks for the welcome.

I have noticed IC seems less popular, trying to get hold of glow fuel has been a pain. Even at the sourthern model show it was impossible to get hold of - pilots there were complaining too as none of the traders had any. Somehow they managed to keep flying but there were a fair number grumbling about it.

Cheers for the info on CAA, I thought it was just drones but i shall be looking into that and registering. I also need to get onto BMFA too..

Whats happened to the nexus plans service? - I've found the plan I wanted elsewhere but the nexus plans service seems to have vanished?

Best thing for fuel these days is to order online from one of the good model shops that still exist unless you're lucky and have one nearby. Nothing within a forty mile round trip for me now.

Purely as a satisfied customer I can recommend Leeds Model shop who are efficient and very reasonable in both price and courier costs. Come to think of it most stuff comes on line now, I ordered a prop from Inwood last week and had the item on my doorstep in two days. Free post on their Ebay shop as well.....result.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 2