Seagull Yak 54 and Saito 120R

Oh dear, how sad never mind.  🙄

Despite my best efforts to get my Saito to drag the Yak about at a decent lick, I think I'll convert it to electric.  Prior to this sudden arrival, it flew ok ish but needed full throttle most of the time and wouldn't go anywhere near vertical.  It seemed very slippery on previous landings so on this flight I chopped the throttle earlier as I was just coming out of a banked turn and lining it up for the strip.  Yep, the engine cut out and a classic tip stall resulted, made all the more embarrassing having just attended a talk given by a senior club member and pilot of full size aircraft on - Banked turns!

So I'm looking for recommendations for an electric motor.  If possible to take a 7s lipo (I have 5 x 5800 doing nothing) that will give me good aero performance.

Cheers, Martin

Crashed Yak.jpg

Advert

I can't advise on an electric option but I do know that my almost identical (there are some differences) blue and yellow version flew OK on a 120 and wonderfully on an ASP 180FS

As to 4 strokes throwing propellers, the only engine that I've had that suffered from it was an OS40FS with a lightweight wooden propeller, many years ago - changing to an APC cured it!  It would occasionally rattle if leaned slightly too much, followed rapidly by the prop departing.  Paul - are your problems related to lack of flywheel effect from light propellers, perhaps?

Most unfortunate Martin but sadly, not entirely unexpected. 

The little radials are really cool but do not have much muscle. What sort of performance were you getting from it in the end? As in what rpm and prop did you see?

Posted (edited)

Hi Jon,

On the ground runs I was getting 9500 RPM on a 14x6 prop which is pretty much what Saito quotes in the manual.  Anyway, after quite a few hours in surgery with new ply frames, sheeting, covering and a new cowling it's all fixed up - apart from a power plant. I shouldn't say 'plant' really! 

Fortunately the Saito came to no harm as did its prop probably due to soft ground and the crumple zone of the cowling so Paul I'll bear you kind offer in mind 😂

Cheers, Martin

Yak - fixed.jpg

Edited by Martin Fraser
  • Like 1

that prop is a little feeble and may have been part of your problem. I would have run a 14x7 at lower rpm for more bite. 

That said, you are in a bit of a pickle anyway as an 80 size 4 stroke of almost any brand will take a 14x6 to low 9000's. I expected about 9200 from a laser 80 when i tested them on 14x6 apc's.