BMFA NEWS

SIMON CRAGG

I've just scanned through the on-line latest edition and yes, it's nicely produced and well written but I get the feeling that most of that effort will go to waste on the majority of our members. Is the publication trying to be a news vehicle for the BMFA and its doings as one would might expect from its title, or is the intention to steal some of the thunder from the few commercial mags that still exist? Maybe its whole  'reason for being' has become a tad unclear.  BMFAN has a guaranteed circulation so I guess that they don't need to worry too much about content type or whether it gets read or not by our members. A 'one can lead a horse to water etc' type of thing.

I wouldn't like us to stop  having a regular publication, although the expense and duplication of producing a hard copy posted version to a more than ever on-line savvy BMFA membership (think renewals, Classifieds and Achievement Scheme, You Tube presentations and even your own club's admin etc) doesn't add up in my book. 

The stance that it makes us look good to the authorities in that we all get a hard copy posted to us for the communication of important info etc seems a bit odd, as those very authorities rely so heavily these days on on-line and web based communications as we have seen very recently from the CAA itself.

Not knocking anyone - just a few comments distilled from conversations with club mates recently.

• Like 2

Just dipping in and out of the latest issue on the BMFA website (no post delivered since saturday) and I did enjoy reading Andy's 'Challenging Times' piece.....I did laugh out loud when I came across his mentioning feedback from potential new members and the unfriendly and grumpy response that a few have encountered when visiting a club as potential new members. I can clearly imagine in my mind's eye the scene with some Basil Fawlty type huffing and puffing as his precious flying time was being wasted on answering the usual tyro questions.

Doesn't surprise me at all and I only found it amusing because that's exactly what happened to me as a young teenager looking for help from a club back in the 70s. Thankfully, not that common an occurance these days....we hope.

6 minutes ago, Cuban8 said:

I did laugh out loud when I came across his mentioning feedback from potential new members and the unfriendly and grumpy response that a few have encountered when visiting a club as potential new members. I can clearly imagine in my mind's eye the scene with some Basil Fawlty type huffing and puffing as his precious flying time was being wasted on answering the usual tyro questions.

Doesn't surprise me at all and I only found it amusing because that's exactly what happened to me as a young teenager looking for help from a club back in the 70s. Thankfully, not that common an occurance these days....we hope.

Sadly, based on some comments in threads on this forum, it's not that unusual......

Some nice publicity for Willy Howe MFC there!  Our club secretary is doing a sterling job getting the word out, with great support from Andy S - next event is a talk to some school children about WW2 aircraft - a repeat of what we did a few years ago, hopefully just as successful.

• Like 2

It's a good issue.  I'm not particularly interested in drone racing (or drones at all, come to that) but the article about the world championships showed how it's attracting enthusiastic youngsters into RC flying and they may well try other RC disciplines later.  As someone brought up in a coal mining area (and living in a former mining village) it's slightly surprising to realise that not everyone has even seen pit headgear - as a child, I was convinced the wheels were off bicycles :).

One thing I like about the BMFA News is that it has articles about disciplines I have no personal experience of  - like serious free-flight or control line.

• Like 1

My primary R/C interest is in scale helis so it was nice to see Neil Parris's excellent article on our recent meeting at Buckminster. However, I'm always interested to see what other disciplines are up to, such as the rubber fanciers, you can certainly learn a few things about aerodynamics from them. 

Cheers, Marty

• Like 2