Depron wing rib advice.

I am planning to build a new wing for my Baron, a three-channel French trainer, in order to compete in la Coupe Des Barons next year. Though I have considerable stocks of balsa I noticed that there is some depron in our club's workshop which I am sure they would let me have for a small financial consideration. Rather than use the Baron's multi-spar wing construction I propose to use the classic three spar arrangement a la Super 60 with a D section leading edge and the wing ribs made from depron. As it will be my first time using depron I have the following questions.

• What thickness depron should I use for the ribs given that the model has a 62" span wing and 9.5" chord? (155 cms and 24 cms respectively.)
  • Is it ok to cover the wing in Oracover or similar bearing in mind that the centre section, wing tips, leading and trailing edges will be balsa?
  • If not should I cap the wing ribs in balsa?
  • Which glue would you recommend?

Picture of a Baron below for those unfamiliar with the design.

Winner 20118.jpg

Advert

16 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

D box - is the sheeting balsa?

I'd be tempted to make a handful of centre ribs from balsa if distortion is an issue, the wing is retained by bands?

I was thinking of making the centre section ribs out of balsa and retaining the wing with a peg and bolt system. I'll also take Ace's advice about making the tip ribs from balsa.