Surprising what you find chucked away in the street.

Bonzo Moon

Advert

1 hour ago, SIMON CRAGG said:

Brilliant, just love your experiments and "make and mend" attitude.

We have our very own Jack Hargreaves on the forum!

Looking fwd to seeing that jet fly.

The joy of retirement (if there's such a thing)  coupled with a lack of flying weather!  😒

But yes, the foamie jet has been interesting, especially making a cavity inside to get rx, battery and esc in.  I'm just waiting on the servos, but then I'll be waiting on the weather for a maiden!   🥴

Model shop sold it to me for a fiver, but I see they're more like a tenner online.  Build blog will happen sometime too.

Edited by Bonzo Moon

A  neighbour (millenial) left his (about 5 year old) LG 65" flatscreen TV on the nature strip when he moved to Sydney. (Not enough room in his car)

Complete with stand and thankfully he left the remote.

Another neighbour phoned me to advise about this treasure and it took two of us to move it into the workshop under the house less than 15 minutes after it was 'dumped'.

Apart from having to relocate a few models it took me half a day to patch in an antenna feed.

The thing is that I rarely turn it on when model building is occurring as is is too much of a distraction so prefer the radio.

As Ned Kelly said "Such is life"

* Chris *

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Christopher Wolfe said:

A  neighbour (millenial) left his (about 5 year old) LG 65" flatscreen TV on the nature strip when he moved to Sydney. (Not enough room in his car)...

* Chris *

Millenials. I thought they were supposed to be the 'green' generation 🤔.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Geoff S said:

I must be odd because I've never seen any discarded vape batteries.  I don't walk in cities (or even towns) very much but my wife and I sometimes litter pick on our local strolls.

I don't see many but according to reports I've seen on tv they are becoming an environmental blight.

Should disposable vapes be banned?BBC

24 Oct 2022 — Up to 1.3 million single-use vapes are thrown away each week, according to Material Focus, a not-for-profit organisation focusing on recycling e ...

Mine all come from my daughter-in-law, in worrying quantities but at least its not tobacco.  And at least I know where they've been 🙂  

I've given buckets of them away at the Ponty club but I've still a stash of fifty or so and yesterday she presented me with another carrier bag full, some with charge ports.

Most of my PP3-powered test gear now has a 2S home-made PP3, used them in loads of projects, bicycle light pack etc - but theres a limit to how many you can use so I still have mountains of the things.  The recent ones are nice little 300mA oblong lipos ideal for a Lidl glider or mpx Fox.  The 18650-sized ones you can adapt to use in a torch.  My SAS Wildthing has ex-Vape 18650s in the nose, two in parallel for the weight.  You cant post lipo cells now but I could take some to the next big meeting - OW? anything but throwing them away!

Cheers

Phil

5 hours ago, Phil Green said:

Mine all come from my daughter-in-law, in worrying quantities but at least its not tobacco.  And at least I know where they've been 🙂  

I've given buckets of them away at the Ponty club but I've still a stash of fifty or so and yesterday she presented me with another carrier bag full, some with charge ports.

Most of my PP3-powered test gear now has a 2S home-made PP3, used them in loads of projects, bicycle light pack etc - but theres a limit to how many you can use so I still have mountains of the things.  The recent ones are nice little 300mA oblong lipos ideal for a Lidl glider or mpx Fox.  The 18650-sized ones you can adapt to use in a torch.  My SAS Wildthing has ex-Vape 18650s in the nose, two in parallel for the weight.  You cant post lipo cells now but I could take some to the next big meeting - OW? anything but throwing them away!

Cheers

Phil

Most of mine have come from a woman I know who gets through loads of the 'one use' vapes and she saves them for me. The batteries are usually the cylindrical 360mA type but I've also found the oblong flat ones and bigger ones.  I've been considering using a pair in parallel for slightly bigger motors too as the C rate doesn't appear to be very high. 

but theres a limit to how many you can use,

yup it's such a  waste that they are being binned all over the planet.