Ideas for my next foamie build please?

Bonzo Moon

Advert

5 hours ago, Futura57 said:

There's always the X-wing layout...

230911103353-02-star-wars-starfighter-model.webp.eef7c3f737bcbbddef0fae062f589220.webp

...or a Warren Wing layout like my Top Quark design...

large.IMG_20231128_140120918.jpg.5aaf74b1ba0eeb6a548f649579932382.thumb.jpg.cdc0cd51c4f92fd31c1bc1a1a620c1a0.jpg

...or swept forward wing, maybe with canard.

961px-X-29_in_Banked_Flight.thumb.jpg.e029592d248ac3a4765078717f7d68a3.jpg

The world is your lobster 🤣

Some amazing stuff there! I might have to work up to that! 

7 minutes ago, john davidson 1 said:

DH Venom style, cut off the tail, twin booms and an EDF behind 

Now that would be something, and very pretty!  Ducting the airflow for edf would be the difficult bit. You'd want it in the middle to look right?  You build one ?  😉

2 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

Yes I have built and flown one, airflow to the EDF is provided by four scallops in the foam . The EDF is mounted on four bamboo skewers . Gives a much better  glide than EDF on top  . Will post a photo tomorrow. Too comfortable watching telly to go out to the shed.

Excellent, yes, I'd love to see the pics. Well done!

As promised here is my flock .

Close up is the mount with scallop for EDF. Four scallops in all. A mite slower than expected maybe the efflux hits the tailplane so it might be better mounted higher.

The white winger is my original two years old at least and admired and copied by a couple of clubmates for its handling and speed.High EDF  gives a downward on take off so I dial in up trim until at height.

Venom is very twitchy , perhaps too big ailerons so still working on rates

Pusher prop is also slower than expected, probably reason as above

White winger tail looks askew in photo?  must check

P1030749.JPG

P1030748.JPG

Edited by john davidson 1
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, john davidson 1 said:

As promised here is my flock .

Close up is the mount with scallop for EDF. Four scallops in all. A mite slower than expected maybe the efflux hits the tailplane so it might be better mounted higher.

The white winger is my original two years old at least and admired and copied by a couple of clubmates for its handling and speed.High EDF  gives a downward on take off so I dial in up trim until at height.

Venom is very twitchy , perhaps too big ailerons so still working on rates

Pusher prop is also slower than expected, probably reason as above

White winger tail looks askew in photo?  must check

P1030749.JPG

P1030748.JPG

Interesting selection... I've ony made one EDF big Lidl out of my 9 and that was top mounted simple design really but flies well.

Whereas my twin boom pusher still isn't flying well!  

It looks like you have used the nylon reinforced tape to help secure ailerons on one model.  Word of warning about that stuff!  I did the same with my early LIdl conversions and after a couple of years it totally degrades and will just fall off!  I had to go through a few models and replace it with Scotch Crystal tape which is everlasting! 

20231205_170912.jpg

20231205_170920.jpg

12 hours ago, Keith Billinge said:

Blohm & Voss BV141

Must admit I had to Google that one!

That was an amazing design of it's time.  Very strange.

The Blohm & Voss BV 141 was designed as a tactical reconnaissance aircraft. While passed over by the German Air Ministry for the Focke-Wulf Fw 189 Uhu, it became the better known of the two, due to its asymmetrical body. The aircraft’s unusual design made it appear as though it shouldn’t have been able to safely take to the air. However, tests showed it was able to fly without issue.

bloom and voss.jpg

B and V 2.jpg