Pipe laggers ?

Flyboy3

Hi all, many years ago there was a clever designer on th forum designing a beginners model from what I can remember Depron and pipe lagging material. He also designed a slow flying model from blue foam.  Has any one any re collections of this gentleman.  Thanks

31 minutes ago, Flyboy3 said:

Hi all, many years ago there was a clever designer on th forum designing a beginners model from what I can remember Depron and pipe lagging material. He also designed a slow flying model from blue foam.  Has any one any re collections of this gentleman.  Thanks

That would be the very clever Tom Wright, unfortunately he passed away about 7 years ago. All his threads are still on here, just try searching.

Wow, thanks EB, you have hit it on the head for me. I built  the twin boom many years ago. It was a great flier. Due to the fact I have bought a new budget radio (Flysky i6) I was thinking of building another twin boom to get conversant with this cheapy radio. I still have all the electronics for the build.  Thank you.

radio.

• Thanks 1

It was some time ago, but I built a model with a pipe-lagging fuselage for my grandson. 

The thread topic was about home-built models under 250g

The photo from the post is here ...  https://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/42451/841817.jpg

(I called it lobster because of its colours and because it had to be lobbed into the air!)

Lobster 3A.jpg

• Like 1

The wing is a one-piece Depron, but it was one I had bought years earlier which was sold as a spare/replacement for some other model.  I had never used it so it was lucky I just happened to still have it, and it was ideal for this.  As you see it is R/E only, and the pipe-lagging is reinforced internally with a long piece of square-section balsa.  It flew really well.

The original thread is here, and several others posted some excellent lightweight home-builds you might like.

Nice rw, may I ask what prop, motor, ESC and battery combo have you used please and what is the all up weight ready to launch please ?

Hi Rich,  Well it was some time ago and it was given to my grandson who still has it.  However, from memory it had a small Emax 1200kv motor powered by a 2S 500 battery, driving a GWS slo-fly 8x4 prop.  ESC was 5A I think.  AUW was definitely under 250g.  I bought him a cheapy (but surprisingly good) FlySky TX/RX so no doubt it had a very small 4ch RX.

Hope that helps.

Lobster 1 LR.jpg