Advice on multi motor set ups

Advice requested for the following

i I am building a 4 motor set up and when trying out have the following results 

set up as follows

4XA2212/6T motors

props.  6X4

ESC 4 off bog standard 40 Amp unbranded ( from China)

battery 3700 3 s

wheh hooked up to a watt meter here are the results

A 63.      W 570.     V 11.1

an I right In thinking that I need 80 A ESC’s

Any comments and advice great fully received 

Advert

Mike downs 1

Just a point that can occur with electric multi motor designs.

Where is the battery in relation to the motor ESCs?

If the wire length between the battery and any ESC  is over the provided wire length of the ESC and battery (about 10") then you are going to be putting an additional strain on the ESC's input capacitors due to inductance spikes. The longer the wires and the closer to the ESC's amps limit the worse the effect is. Failure tends to be time related so it can work well enough but it can also fail at any point and always when under load i.e. most likely when in flight!

If the wires are really long it is possible to add additional capacitors but they have to be of the right type.

There is no such limitation on wire length ESC to motor.

I try to make sure the ESC(s) are as close to the battery as practical in both single and multi motor arrangements with appropriately long motor wires.

In one rather extreme case they are no less than 45" long!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Simon Chaddock said:

Mike downs 1

Just a point that can occur with electric multi motor designs.

Where is the battery in relation to the motor ESCs?

If the wire length between the battery and any ESC  is over the provided wire length of the ESC and battery (about 10") then you are going to be putting an additional strain on the ESC's input capacitors due to inductance spikes. The longer the wires and the closer to the ESC's amps limit the worse the effect is. Failure tends to be time related so it can work well enough but it can also fail at any point and always when under load i.e. most likely when in flight!

If the wires are really long it is possible to add additional capacitors but they have to be of the right type.

There is no such limitation on wire length ESC to motor.

I try to make sure the ESC(s) are as close to the battery as practical in both single and multi motor arrangements with appropriately long motor wires.

In one rather extreme case they are no less than 45" long!

Useful info for us all. Thanks  👍

This was the first plane, a Depron EDF, where I had to seriously consider the length of the motor wires.

14Jun19.JPG.d61efde20f4a7f6165876a5e92c07c7e.JPG

To get the battery well forward to clear the duct inlets I placed the EDF right at the back, literally.

EDFrear.JPG.757e47eccbf033a447d0efb78053cde8.JPG

This meat the distance between the motor and battery to achieve the correct CofG was about 32".

Aware of the battery to ESC distance limitations I placed the ESC right behind the battery compartment with its cooling fingers out in the air steam.

NewESC.JPG.2d94d74f6e5518f1cff8dca6d0216a56.JPG

The length of the wires lead me to use lacquered solid copper wire (magnet wire) as for a given amp capacity it is only half the weight of the flexible silicone insulated wire normally used. Of course the fact that it is also a great deal cheaper has nothing to do with me using it.😉

I now tend to use magnet wire on all my multi engine planes but then they are all foam lightweights. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...