Airframe Suggestions for Saito FA-125a 4-Stroke

Futura57

Advert

I am generally of the opinion that if you are safe and having fun, then go for it, but much to Jon's point, I have felt my eyebrows rise when after being informed by its owner about the scale colour of the pilots eyes, and the rubber of the wheels being from the original..blah blah, the said owner hauls the model off the deck in 6ft and hairs it about like a pylon racer. I have a whimsical smile to my self, and assume the owner also has a convertible, and on the one of few 30 degrees bright sunshine days in the UK, has its hood up!!. I hear too many times "you cant have too much power!, you have a throttle stick", but I'm not so sure that applies to all disciplines of model flying. Sure, I have powerful 3D machines, for 3D, but my most flown model is a converted to radio annoyance free flight, which with no wind, takes a circuit and a half at 8ft before getting aloft.. and to me it flys, not hauled around by the huge fan on the front.. for my a "matched or balanced" power train is more desirable....#ittakesallsorts. 

• Like 1

I would rather fly a model which is slightly under powered than one that is over powered. Underpowered is easy to deal with, but there comes a point with an over powered model where you simply cant do anything with it as the slightest touch of the throttle has it heading for the sound barrier. 

70-75 inch warbirds should, in my view, be between 12 and 16lbs and need between a 100 and 150 class of power plant. My Pica P40 was 72 inch and 15.5lbs but my 155 flew it with ease. In fact once the nose dropped below the horizon gravity did all the work and i was throttled well back to keep the speed in check. which was a win as it saved fuel! A friends YT P51 was about the same and a 150 flew it fine. My restored ugly mustang is about the same but my 160 inline is, on the face of it, a bit wimpy. However, i noticed that vertical performance was fine, its just slow. No matter what i do it just does the same speed all the time. The wing on it is very thick and clearly very draggy. It seems to hit a top speed it cant get past without a full throttle dive. Even then it is not fast so its clearly a peculiarity of the model. 

1 hour ago, extra slim said:

I have felt my eyebrows rise when after being informed by its owner about the scale colour of the pilots eyes, and the rubber of the wheels being from the original..blah blah

Then then decide to fit a mahoosive engine and make so little effort to fit it neatly in the cowl i wonder if they actually just left the cowl on when fitting the engine and just cut a hole big enough to fit it without taking it off.