LiFe Batteries can the be recovered or binned

There is absolutely no point in putting these to a lower storage voltage even if your charger is a very clever one which could do that. The chemistry is way different to that of a Lipo or Li-Ion pack. As I said above, I have some which have not been used from a full charge for a few years and are still full. For peace of mind I always check by doing a discharge/charge cycle manually before using again. A recharge on these only takes 1 hr i.e. a 1500 mA/hr pack is charged at 1.5A.

3 hours ago, Martin McIntosh said:

There is absolutely no point in putting these to a lower storage voltage even if your charger is a very clever one which could do that. The chemistry is way different to that of a Lipo or Li-Ion pack. As I said above, I have some which have not been used from a full charge for a few years and are still full. For peace of mind I always check by doing a discharge/charge cycle manually before using again. A recharge on these only takes 1 hr i.e. a 1500 mA/hr pack is charged at 1.5A.

My experience has been that the LiFes do better if charged at 0.8C, though I'm using them as transmitter batteries rather than for motor power. I've killed a couple by leaving a transmitter on and they do not come back from going completely flat.

A couple of years back I had bought few packs from a supplier in Australia. Due to my mistake the pack was over drained and the charger would not detect them. The supplier asked me to connect the pack, select NiMH chemistry and start charging and terminate the charge as soon as pack voltage reached 5.1/5 volts (It took no time to reach that voltage). That did revive the pack.

Since then have done the same to two or three packs that were accidentally over discharged.

I did cycle the packs and check the capacity before putting them back in service on my models.

M.C., it looks like you just caught them in time, I tried that and was not so lucky.

Regarding storage, most of my Tx`s have LiFe packs and they of course would not get that because they are (were) in constant use, so the Rx ones get treated the same.

I was trying to clear up why the OP could not get much charge into `stored` packs since they probably not actually at that level.