An Embarrasment of Riches. Which Engine for the Calmato D?

David Davis

My club has acquired a brand new unstarted Calmato D ARTF still in its box. This is the smaller version of the Calmato it has a 1.6 metre wingspan and is intended for a 46 two stroke. I've flown a couple of the larger ones which were very pleasant to fly and I've been told that the smaller one is even better. The club wants to sell the model and I've expressed an interest in buying it; it's my birthday in March!

I have the following engines which I could fit to the model: Thunder Tiger 46 PRO; OS 46 AX; Enya 50; Irvine 46 and Irvine 53. I also have a Laser 70 not doing anything and an electric motor which would do the job but I'm not into electric power? 😏

For those unfamiliar with the Calmato D, this link will inform you: https://www.weymuller.fr/article/calmato_alpha_40_sport_rouge_160m.html

I have one of these powered by a SuperTigre G51. This gives plenty of margin for normal aerobatics. Balance is about right with this engine, so I think any of the 2 strokes you mention would also be fine. Not sure of the Laser, depending on how the weight of it compares to a 2 stroke, might then come out nose heavy?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, David Davis said:

My club has acquired a brand new unstarted Calmato D ARTF still in its box. This is the smaller version of the Calmato it has a 1.6 metre wingspan and is intended for a 46 two stroke. I've flown a couple of the larger ones which were very pleasant to fly and I've been told that the smaller one is even better. The club wants to sell the model and I've expressed an interest in buying it; it's my birthday in March!

I have the following engines which I could fit to the model: Thunder Tiger 46 PRO; OS 46 AX; Enya 50; Irvine 46 and Irvine 53. I also have a Laser 70 not doing anything and an electric motor which would do the job but I'm not into electric power? 😏

For those unfamiliar with the Calmato D, this link will inform you: https://www.weymuller.fr/article/calmato_alpha_40_sport_rouge_160m.html

Laser as already said may be a bit too heavy , carb position should be ok if fitted upright or side mounted but have issues if mounted inverted . TT Pro OK . OS AX ? Good until chrome comes off cylinder liner, Enya 50 good solid bullet proof engine, Irvines OK. Electric👎 Jmo before the electric police come after me 🙂. My choice would be the Enya . 

Edited by Engine Doctor
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Andy Stephenson said:

We had a Calmato as a club trainer that had Thunder Tiger 56 which was a little too much for a trainer.

Confusingly Kyosho market two different models under the name Calmato. One is a conventional high wing trainer, the other is a low wing sports model. I am interested in the low wing version and I won't be using the Calmato as a trainer but as a way of improving my flying.

Picture of the high-wing trainer here: https://www.weymuller.fr/article/kit_calmato_alpha_40_trainer_ep_gp_rouge_160m.html

1 minute ago, Nigel R said:

Enya 50 comes with the caveat that the older silencer may not be as quiet as the others. But, any of your 2 strokes would do the job I think.

I have a Q Silencer on my Enya and it sounds gorgeous. I hate noisy two-strokes anyway! Currently it's mounted in the club's Boomerang trainer. I wince whenever a novice pilot takes off with that jewel in the nose.

39 minutes ago, Nigel R said:

Swap it out for the Irvine 46, quick!

Nah! I bought the Irvine new but bought the OS second hand for very little and the Thunder Tiger PRO was given to me minus its carburetter. I put an OS carburetter on it and it ran perfectly. One of those is going in the trainer and the Enya in the Calmato. I don't have any plans for the other engines yet but I've got a couple of unstarted pattern-ship kits on the racking.