Saying hi

Neddy

I am new to the forum I am in Australia . I am new to rv planes and only a learner. I did fly model planes when I was a kid but that was about 60 yrs ago it was flying using wires and spinning around on one spot. The planes were balsa paper and dope. One crash and you were building a new plane. I recently bought an old plane and accessories.  From an elderly fellow who hasnt flown it for a few years. It is a powered glider built by dynam called a Hawk Sky. It needs a few minor repairs and a new battery. It's a project for me it's built of polystyrene. I was given a flight simulator called Real Flight 6 but I can't set it up as I haven't got the serial number. Oh well see how I go  not sure whether it's retrievable. 

The plane I have doesn't have rudder control  I guess I steers by aelerons. I want to add rudder control so I want to fit a servo and a push cable the right length I don't know what size servo to get is 8 g too big?

Neddy

Welcome

If your Hawk Aky is old it is probably the original version 1. The Hawk Sky is till available but now as a V2 with 4 channels. It has a more powerful motor and is a bit heavier.

The original was sold as a 3channel so did not have a rudder.

I would not worry to much about the lack of rudder. A plane like the Hawk Sky with adequate dihedral will be perfectly controllable without one. I fly several powered glider type planes and lots of EDF jets with no rudder.

So my suggestion would be to repair it to its original state and fly it.

If you find the lack of a rudder is a problem then it is perfectly possible to fit one but be aware even a small servo and linkage will add weight to a plane that is quite modestly powered,

I hope this helps

Thank you for your reply as you say don't worry about rudder. It was crash damaged and the fuselage was snapped about half way to the tail. I had an old graphite fishing rod and cut it off and used about  8 inches of it it was about 1/2 inch in diameter and drilled down inside the fuselage and slid it inside glued it with 2 part epoxy resin and packed foam inside as well it is very solid the graphite was thin walled tubing very light in weight. I would of added to the weight but not by much. I will set it up and  check the centre of gravity and see whether I have to change position of battery. It keeps me busy and hopefully get a day of little wind to try it out. Cheers