Foam Model cleaning?

I have just purchased an Avanti S which has been stored for a couple of years in an attic.

The white foam sections are dull and grubby.

Before I start experimenting, can anybody recommend a product / method of restoring the finish please?.

Not expecting miracles, just something to make it look a bit better!

Yes I have a problem where my previously owned plane is a sicky mess with tape glue stuck all over the place. The previous owner just about reinforced the fuselage with sticky fabric tape. I have been trying to clean it off. He also used brown coloured contact cement in places which is not suitable for glueing foam and looks horrible on white foam.

Too late for you now Simon but for others we had the same problem with half a dozen aircraft from a deceased member's estate that had been stored for some time. 

Bathroom/Kitchen surface cleaner in the form of trigger spray bottles & wet wipes were very effective & did not damage the finish.

Before & afters:

image.thumb.png.47eda01e1f1128b3adb873e849851c27.pngimage.thumb.png.f32e6e1178c931d2aad9cfe88ca130a2.png 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I second the bathroom cleaner & wet wipes approach as well. Used in conjunction with a soft detailing brush you can get into the 'pores' of the foam to make the model sparkle again.

You could then give it a coat of Future floor sealant (something learnt from making plastic kits) to preserve the finish.

Tom