Older People Take A Bit Longer.

David Davis

For the last three years I have been trying to teach my Belgian mate Frans both how to build how to fly. He's built a Ben Buckle Junior 60 and a Radio Queen but I was on the point of suggesting that he had a few sessions with another instructor when he went solo this morning for the first time on the Radio Queen! The weather was perfect, he flew the first two flights with me on the buddy box but I did not have to intervene at all from take-off to landing so I persuaded him to go solo on the third flight which he did. We had a beer afterwards to celebrate the occasion! 😆

Frans First Solo Flight 1.jpg

Frans First Solo Flight 2.jpg

Frans First Solo Flight.jpg

• Like 13

Advert

If you're into building Bas I'd recommend the Radio Queen as a basic trainer. It's very stable in light winds and with repeated flights it instills confidence in a novice before he moves on to an aileron trainer. I used to have one with an i/c engine years ago which I used to give elderly novices their first experience of radio controlled flight. It's one of the two models I regret selling. The other was a Flair Hooligan. By chance they were both pictured on the same photograph!

If anyone builds a Radio Queen make sure that you don't overpower it. We tried three different electric motors before finding one which flew the model nicely. if fitting an i/c engine a 40 four-stroke would be a good match. The plans show the engine bearers spaced for a 2.5 cc (0.15 cu.ins) diesel!

Hooligan and Radio Queen 2.JPG