How small can I go?

Hello, I'm in my sixties now, but as a teenager I was a keen modeller and even designed and built my own gliders. I was Devon based and almost exclusively slope soared.

Now I'm London based with a small house, so building is out of the question and whatever I have will likely need to be stored in a small shed.  I'm thinking of trying electric powered since that's a new option for me.  I have a feeling the smallest viable is about 60cm span.  I can see there are smaller around, esp flying wings, but my guess is these are far less stable and tend to the aerobatic?

What would be the advice for the smallest beginner electric fixed wing option?

Advert

I’m in my late 60s and have returned to the hobby after many years.  As a beginner I looked at the many options available.  I eventually went for the Apprentice s 700 rtf with SAFE.  For me it’s ideal, small easy to fly and with options to fly unassisted when you wish and do aerobatics! Being a small plane storage shouldn’t be a problem.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

@mainframeguyWelcome back!

At 60cm, the Volantex Ranger makes a good reintroduction. Full electronic stability that can be switched off as you regain competence.  Cheap as chips.

Since you left the hobby, there have been many technological changes, and a few minor restrictions impacting our flying. Visit the BMFA website for legal requirements - not onerous!

Are you a member of, or joining, a club ?

Thanks all... I had found the ranger from some googling, might start there and see how I go... the multistar is tempting but large and the apprentice looks good but is pricey.

I do realise I should find out about  clubs and it looks like my options are the Croydon one or there was the bromley soaring club that's been joined into Bickley..

If you've room to store an Apprentice, there are lots of foam models of similar size that are ideal on club sites..... 

If you've previously flown slope soarers, I suspect you'd soon move on from the Apprentice, making it poo vfm.

Try converting one of these  They are just over a meter wing span and wings plug in . Sold by Ali-express for around a £10 . They fly really well . Mine is electric power but also glides  very well . They come in White foam , mine is painted with cheap aerosol from a pound shop and it doesnt damage the foam . 

This one has some 6mm carbon spar fitted  and some carbon strip glued into the wing for some extra strength  for fast flight .

Most of the running gear  stuff came from the spares box but cost will be low even if bought new 

20240210_141427.jpg

Agreed. Converting a foam "chuck" glider to power is a very economical way of creating a perfectly practical plane.

However also be aware that as you get older your acuity suffers. That is the ability to distinguish small objects from their back ground particularly a low cross section glider when it is "edge on" to your line of sight. A basically all white foam powered glider is rather poor in this respect. As on "oldy" I am speaking from experience!

As as Engine Doctor has done it is worth painting them all over is strong contrasting colours.

If you ever watch small drones racing you are hard put to even see them let alone determine their orientation yet the teenage pilots mange perfectly well.

So do we mean something like this? I like how incredibly affordable it is... My accreditations and memberships will cost a lot more!

And detachable wings are a step in the right direction, I had such a pair back in the day and it meant I oould fit all my gear in a rucksack and hop on the bus!

I've seen you can still buy futaba rc gear and it's unaffordable as ever. I can't expect too much from these sorts of RC gear with this plane, but will they be legal in the UK and would they be compatible with club flying? I don't see any info about frequencies or channels. 

Thanks for all the advice thus far

Stuff can be VERY affordable. Although I'm not sure what actually comes with the mid you linked to....... there is an RTF-plus version but it suggests you get all you need, but as separate components. With the Volantex ones suggested earlier, it's ready to go out if the box, and multiple forumites will probably be able to help you. And you can get them in various sizes.

You can buy a brand new Futaba transmitter and receiver for under £200 I believe.  It won't have all the bells and whistles of their  £2k sets if course, but will be more capable than most radios with the Chinese RTF stuff.

It will be legal in the UK and will be on 2.4gHz rather than 27/35mHz. They find a free frequency and use that without you having to do anything. A set included with an RTF model will typically have enough channels for that particular model.  For example, you can get little 400mm foam warbirds with radios that have the 4 main channels, plus a couple of switches which do other stuff like 'stunt mode' which seems similar to a rate switch, and  'turn around' button which is supposed to be pressed if the model is getting too far away.

The type of models available, the radios and their capabilities, are orders of magnitude greater than you were given.

To get better advice, it'd help if you had a clearer idea of the direction you're going to take...... do you want to fly in a club, or do you have a safe and suitable location outside a club? Do you want something that you can fly as soon as you get it, or do you want to assemble it? To what extent would you like to build/assemble it?  Are you thinking of dipping a toe in with something like a Ranger (or similar) and taking it from there, or do you want to start with something more traditional in size, using a brand of radio chosen by you (a far larger financial investment).

Sorry for delayed reply, life and get in the way at times!

Main considerations for me are I live in a small house and doing full builds like I used to is out of the question. I can possibly clear desk space about 1.5 by0.5m on occasion and I can likely store in a "sentry box" shed.

Secondly lime to limit spend initially while I work out sites and clubs etc then if all's good a d I'm enjoying myself I'll see where I go to expand, eg big soarer, electric acrobat or suchlike

The new things for me today are electric power, RC advances, and plethora of cheap ready builds ( in my day we all turned our noses up at the hobbie hawk!,

Thanks for all the advice thus far