Building the Balsacraft Hurricane

Managed to get this off ebay in the summer as a kit then almost sold it again, but decided to keep it in the end , and I'm glad I did. I've since been able to set-up a workshop in my flat and so construction begins. I'll let the images do the talking, but what you see below is basically half a days work. She is great fun to build, not least because I havn't built a kit for over a year, so its nice to get back into it.

My set-up will be 3 cell 3200 lipo, 40amp esc Mega 600 sized brushless inrunner.

Any questions or comments from all welcome.

Prop.

Advert

> Any questions or comments from all welcome.

You did ask!

I had one of these a while back for slope use, it was a really nice build. I eventually flew it into a barbed wire fence and gave away the bits. It went like the clappers off the slope but there's a couple of things that you might like to be aware of.

1. The wing bolt plate pulls out at the slightest opportunity; this is a fault,if it was meant to break in a crash it'd have been a frangible bolt plate arrangement as on the phase 6. I seem to remember that I used some 1/16" ply cladding on the outside of the 2mm ply box structure (which always seems to break at the corner of the "lightening" holes), and bonded everything in place with white glue and lots of 1/2" triangle stock.

2.  The fuselage is a bit weak. I fixed mine with two bits of 1/4" x 1/8" spruce in the corners of the battery box, extending from as far forward as possible to aft of the former at the wing root trailing edge. You might be able to do something with some smaller-section carbon rod or tube.

3. The wing has been enlarged but - as far as I can tell - the tailplane hasn't been enlarged to the same extent, it at all. The real one wasn't stable in pitch anyway which was partly why it was so maneuverable, and I couldn't get the c.g. of the model aft of about 28.5% MAC without it becoming unstable. The side effect of this was that it required constant re-trimming and tended to lift its nose in lift - like the real one, it had to be 'flown' all the time. This behavior might not bother you but if you have any doubt, a slightly larger tailplane wouldn't hurt. It might make the enlarged wing a little less noticeable as well.

A.

I built a Pete Nicolson Bearcat from a plan pack before BC started kitting them. Great design, flew well with a Jeti Phasor BL motor, even on eight sub C nicads (even if it was a little heavy). Would be transformed with a modern out-runner and 3s LiPo;-must try that sometime! 
I built a BC Spit too but it has not flown to date. Both fun builds and strong models too. I have an unbuilt  BC Blenheim in my loft as well but I won't be selling that on e-bay, it can await my retirement! 

I seem to remember the Balsacraft kits being exellent little warbirds. Saw them on display at many trade shows. Then, suddenly they went bust and I can't understand why they were just allowed to disappear.

Anyone know what happened?

John.

Hi Kelvin,

the similarity between the Ripmax and Balsacraft Spits seemed to be debated at some length when the Ripmax Spit first came out.  I think the end result and concensus was that there was no relationship between them.

Having said that, both fly beautifully; I have a Ripmax one and saw a Balsacraft one several times.  It was on brushed and 8 cells so they must be even better with brushless power........

GG

Hi John

I mounted it like this

Motor  Thunder Tiger Ripper OBL 36/11-40A  outrunner
Esc     JP- SP50A-BEC AIR  (The Tornado esc in the pic burnt out)
LiPo   Flight power  3300  3s1p  11.1v
Prop 11x7 APC

My new one will have the spinner part of the cowl removed, and a suitable size and shape spinner in its place.

• 1 month later...