The Model Pilot thread

Gemma Jane

How to turn one plastic blob into another!

This Pilots head is only 18mm. (near to scale) not really possible to model from scratch to get a lifelike Impression. But with a little effort and imagination, reasonable results can be achieved from a conversion! And all for 99p.

Unwanted material is removed, filler then used to reshape to what is needed. Paint with acrylic.

Finished Pilots name is Douglas / Blackadder.

Douglas .. as he will be legless before too long (only room for head and shoulders) in cockpit.

Blackadder .. as the model will be finished to represent ..Francis Blackadders Hurricane P2874 AF-F .. flown during an attack on the North East of England, August 15, 1940.
It work's for me ..

Best wishes Keith.   

Advert

Careful Keith the plastic blob squadron will be shocked at how you have transformed one of their own into a scale pilot figure. I shall keep an eye out for those figures in the shops.
I've always thought it would nice to build everything in 1/6th scale and put Action Men in them with hand stitched uniforms, probably comes from having a Sindy and a dolls house when I was younger, be a bit like a flying dolls house wouldn't it  

Thats not a plastic blob there its more like a plastic Bob lol can we fix it? bet he'd be usefull after a hard landing  I'm not sure action man is 1/16th Gemma would've thought more like 1/8th or 1/10th to be 1/16th he'd have to be only 111mm ish tall thats 4.5" and I'm sure he's bigger than that isn't he. these figures assume an average male height of 5'10" / 1778mm

New glasses Phil, I typed 1/6 th see above! Yes I'm sad enough to have measured my sons Action Man and concluded as Martin has that as a standard 6 foot male they are 1/6th scale

One day, when I'm rich, I want to build a 1/6th Marauder. Put action men in it as the crew and fly it at shows, what do you think, is it doable?

woa stephen you've picked me up wrong--a pilot's a pilot as far as i'm concerned--just there seem's to be some who think their lad's are better---as far as i'm concerned your's take first prize. so please re-write your last post asaplol.......................
                        ken anderson................................... 

message for mr grigg--ken's in the local hospital---covered head to toe in bandage's ----

his rear end is full of lead shot..........shot by a vicker's was his last word's before they bandaged over his gob!(sorry mouth)..................

on his behalf mrs anderson.......................

ps...how come all the emotion's thing's appear to be male's???? 

Thanks Ken and yes she potters round quite well although the flat bottomed wing does seem to cause her to balloon quite markedly as you turn her into wind. I may try knocking 1/2 a degree of the main wing incidence next time out to see how that affects her. (currently set at 1.5 degrees)

That is a lovely quirky plane Tim and your pilot just looks so right for it. lovely job mate

That is partly the point here Simon what does and doesn't work in a plane its a very personal choice based subject esp in many of the "quirkier" designs like mine and Tims I could only imagine Tims fellow in a plane of that style, sort of whacky raceresque, however I think in that genre of plane it works excellently. (In my opinion) mind you paint it red and the only pilot you'd need is Mutley himself. Hmm now there's a thought

Now to be entirely historically correct there Phil, I think the red one was Dick Dastardly's, Mutley's was purple. Go on build one

[dastardly+and+muttley.jpeg]

What would be interesting Simon is what exactly do you see that is wrong? That was the idea of the thread, I believe it can be got right and that pilots can work in a model, I also think they can at times look dreadful - it is the why this is so that is interesting