Savage Engine! (not actually a real engine... yet!)

Advert

Or exhaust and fuel ports timbo!!! this is just a basic drawing animation and i hope to be able to make one some time. It would be a great thing to say on my university interview to say i have made and internal combustion engine, that and it will be cheaper than buying it and it is taking the scratch building a model that one step further! next i could make my own spektrum receiver and servos!!!
I am annoyed that it will probably take me a few years to earn the money to get the lathe, unless anyone wants to donate :D my current balance is £40 with £29 in the bank account :D

Before i did this i always thought Cad and animation was hard, though this took me less than a day to create and animate using AutoDesk Inventor

I could just about flog you a spare 3 jaw chuck for that money Peter...keep saving mate!
Seriously though, do try and go for it, having a lathe opens up all sorts of interesting projects - I have never done anything as complex as an engine it self, but have lost count of the number of little widget thingies that I have done.
Having the skill in CAD as you also possess is a bonus - my technical drawings are still donr on the back of the cornflakes box
There is something strangely satisfying about the whole turning , drilling /milling process.

yeah i have just finished doing workshop at my college, e.g messing around with lathes, mills and acetelyn torches!(we were doing case hardening a drill drift and hardening and tempering a screwdriver) and that screw driver is perfect for adjusting carbs!

My grandad said i could have his massive one but there is absolutely no room for it in our house

Peter
Drawing an IC engine is one thing but actually building it requires a pretty high level of workshop skills. 

A long time ago "building you own" was not unknown but usually with the help of a crankcase casting, then all the machining required could just about be done on a lathe, but nevertheless all the more power to your elbow and have a go!

If you can design and build your own engine - and get it to work - you will be joining a pretty select band!
Good luck.

I have cleverly designed it so far so that it can be mainly produced out of one dimention of square bar stock for both the crank case and the cylinder. I have designed the crank case so that it can be produced solely on a lathe and for just £60 extra on this lathe you can get a Y axis attachment to effectively turn it into a mill.

Chris C: No i do not have any specific dimensions at the moment but i intend to be able to make possibly a .40, but to begin with i would like to try making a .25 as i already have a .40 that can be used in any other model.

The most time consuming thing for development may be getting the fuel and exhaust ports in the correct place. According to a YouTube video animation as the piston goes down on the power stroke it opens the exhaust  then a split second after that it opens the fuel port.

I am really getting excited now!

I drew out a BS8888 Engineering drawing sheet for my college work and dad took it into work and photocopied it onto A3 for me, i may draw out some rough dimensions but i assume the size will compare to other commercially available engines (i sound like i work for an engineering company doing market research :P)

I do have some workshop experience, i made some kind of handle in college and i milled and grinded a parallel and i have always been a quick learner for things relating to engineering! heck, i made my first steady hand game in year 5!

My Grandad has a large lathe and he gets all the jobs to do from his flying club. I come from a long line of engineers. My Grandad maintained Blenheims in WW2! Anything i need to know, i am guessing my dad or grandad will know it!

Who knows maybe after i build this one i may go onto build 4 strokes of all sizes, ok maybe i am getting a bit ahead of myself!

Peter

Have you considered using a commercial piston, liner and crankshaft for your first attempt?

That way, you can practice making the outer components to the required tolerances and have confidence that the engine should run.

Such things as piston taper, port timing, crankshaft grinding et. which will make a lot of difference to the finished article will be simplified and once you've got a running engine you can start substituting and experimenting with your own designs of the critical parts.

Personally Peter though I admire what you are doing, if it were me I might go for producing an established design first. Old Model Engineer magazines used to be full of the designs, including the tolerances to work to. Martin has also provided a realistic proposition in using ready made components.

I would not endeavour to do what you are doing from scratch as a first project. I was using a lathe when I was 6 years old, My father was a model engineer, I grew up to be an aerospace engineer, but I sure wouldn't hope to be able to do what you are attempting with basic workshop equipment without completing several established designs first to get a feel of what was involved.

Still, best of luck with it.

I guess because I knew what it was I didn't see it like that, I'll have to upload it again, it was lost when the platform changed and seems to have got a bit corrupted when I uploaded it again.

It isn't Cylinder Taper it is Piston Taper - it is generally used to keep the correct clearance Peter and it is going to be very important indeed.

The top part of the piston is going to be hotter in use than the bottom, it is going to expand more. One needs to consider this in the design and the usual way is to make the crown of the piston a smaller diameter than the skirt so as it heats up it can expand to the correct clearance

Try page 7 of this link, it shows a diagram which probably explains it better than I can in words

Not a bad PDF that one for some guidance of general principles