Pet hates and sods law

Phil  Claridge

Advert

• 10 months later...
hi folks, just resurecting an old thread. not really model related but sods law at work, our boiler started making funny noises when it tried to light, the fan would start then the pilot light lit up but the main burner would'nt light for a couple of minutes. a nieghbour is a plumber and gas fitter, he came and diagnosed the printed circuit board was us as boiler is twenty years old we thought that was it mega bucks for a new one but low and behold we got a new pcb for £134 waing two weeks for it to arrive, he fitted it switched on and the boiler was dead. refitted old pcb back to square one. three pcb's later i said to the plumber maybe its the pilot light as the flame didnot look as big as it used to he gave me that classic tradesman to idiot look and said ok i will take it off and blow it though with an aircan, refitted it switched and hey presto one workihg boiler, he looked rather sheepish and departed we thought thats it we had got the money back from the very understanding shop for the pcb as we did not use it in the end. then two days later boiler goes sick again sods law the force is strong, rather than calling the fitter out yet again i got to the shop to see if they have a pilot light and thermocouple, sods law relents he tells me they are obsolete but they still have one in stock £23 changes hands, i fit the thing myself in ten minutes flat and bingo boiler works perfeckly, so sods law made us live though a couple of months of realy cold weather not knowing if or when the boiler would die

Glassing models, tis the devils work, takes days for the epoxy to go off and weeks before you finish all the sanding, that's when you sand through the glass and have to repair it then you have the painting to look forward to which will show up all the bits you missed when you were sanding, which means more sanding! The epoxy dust is delightful!

Tom

That is always sunny, with little wind when I'm at work; the weekend is then overcast and raining.

You bang the wings or tail on the garage door or car door when talking out your new built pride and joy on its maiden flight.

You end up with cyno all over your fingers, some on the hairy hinge which then drys toobefore you manage to get the hinges fully pushed in

You don't read the instructions, glue stuff together, then realise its wrong

Stephen, as ever you hit the nail on the head.

Just tonight I was fitting the riblets to the Pup wings. Then "ping" one spins out of my fingers. I hear it land "somewhere" on the building board/bench area. Its got glue on it so I really want to find it. Search everywhere. After 5 mins give up and cut another. Of course as soon as you cut another one guess what? I put the scalpel down and there right in front of me is the other *&(!$^ riblet!

I should know better. Its standard aeromodelling wisdom, it should be learnt by rote by all of us....

"If you want to find the tiny bit you have just dropped, all you have to do is make another one - no problem"!

BEB

Pet hate: bending wire to make u/c legs, I always end up with one longer or at a slightly different angle than the other.
Another ph: covering wing tips
and another: having to go shopping when the weather is flyable and then it blows or rains when I can go flying..

Sods law... Hmm...

Got my 1/4 scale Stampe to the field, engine dosent work as there is a clog in the carb. Try to fly the heli, but stwitch goes mad on starter, i remove starting wand from model, but hey, the switch will quite happily turn on, when i dont want it to, and it wont't turn off. Anyway, starting wand removed ffrom model, starter still going, wand flies out of starter, and punches a nice hole in the canopy.
I get home, fix starter, go down to my field to fly. 12v battery flat after filling up my last tank of fuel. I charge 12v battery, go down there, to find that i had left the tube off the engine with the clip undone... my last tank of fuel had drained out onto the grass.
Next time with Stampe, carb clogged again.
Next time with Stampe, everything working beforehand. I turn it on and see smoke pouring out of every possible orrifice. When soldering inside only recently before, some solder got splashed across the positive and negative contacts of the battery checker plug and had shorted out the very high power sub-c nimh 3300mha 6v rx pack.
Pet hate:
Someone crashes a plane due to loss of radio contact, turns around and says "thats the fourth time that reciever has done that!" That person is me.

Solarfilm won't shrink properly.. More heat. Heat gun burns a hole in beatifully covered wing and you realise, despite you painting the whole model in balsaloc beforehand, that you have applied covering with backing still on.

Go to America with your coaxial heli, turn it on to fly on the first night, to find that you have left the Rx crystal 2500 miles away...

Sheldon (Shedlon Hobnob)

Feel free to laugh...

Edited By sheldon holy on 03/03/2010 21:30:43