Afterburner lighting effect for PSS

Phil Cooke

Does anyone know of a commercially available lighting set that could be used to recreate the effect of glowing afterburners on a PSS model??

Im just starting the build of a PSS Tornado F.3 from the Andy Conway plan (example above by Andy Blackburn) - I'd like a lighting system that is switchable from the Tx which glows and flickers bright orange.  Im not aware of anything on the market - can anyone help me out with a simple circuit diagram??

My electronics knowledge is not that hot, but I am able to lash up a circuit with the correct guidance.  What do I need to make the lights glow continuously but pulse or flicker with varying intensity? (similar to the icicle lights folks put on their houses at christmas!)

In my mind, I am thinking of a circuit with 2 rings of 12 bulbs or LEDs each to be mounted in like numbers on a clock face in each of the 2 tailpipes (the exhausts are 2.5" in dia so I need enough light in there to create the RB199 effect Im after!)

Any advise or guidance gratefully received!

Phil

I was thinking of doing exactly the same with my Nijhuis Hawk (although probably not entirely appropriate to mine in Red Arrows livery) - I've just never got round to it!

I was planning on  switching a number of orange high intensity LEDs located in the tailpipe with an old servo board (or you could use one of the other suggestions as per the thread on "Smoke on the Cheap") as I've already done for a landing light on my Chipmunk.

Hopefully this thread will act as a spur to me to get on with it!

If I do and you haven't already done so, I'll post the results.

Whoops, while I was aware that the majority of Hawks had dry engines, I'd got the idea in my head that some later operational versions were fitted with reheat.  I think I must have got confused by the fact that Adours are available in reheat versions...

P.S. As the Nijhuis Hawk is only "cartoon" scale, I think I'm OK to call it an experimental development version to investigate the suitability of fitting an Adour Mk 811?

Eric - spot on  - Hawks are unreheated... only Jaguars get the 'wet' version of the Adour.... and sadly no longer to be seen working in the UK!

Thanks for the advice guys, the links you put up Tim are very interesting as they are similar to what I had imagined.. Ive not seen either of those before - I understand your concerns about the brightness of LEDs in good light... I WILL be mounting in a dark tube so I hope they will be mostly effective?

I did also consider another solution where you mount a 1/2" dia white bulb behind a clear plastic disc, mounted at the back of the tubes - and coloured (with felt tips even) to recreate the orangey/pink/blue afterburner effect... would still ideally get this to 'pulse' somehow, but maybe this is a better solution?  perhaps I need to build some trial rigs in tubes...

ie - stop thinking about it and get on with it....

after all, the flying season is nearly upon us again!!!

If all else fails, Ill save the weight and the hassle and just paint them on - like Andy Conways PSS EFA (below) - check this out!!! looks like the real thing - and the burners are just orange painted circles!!!

...theres just something cool about being able to switch them on and off during the flight that tickles me. 

• 4 weeks later...
If you wanted to go the LED route there's a few different ways :-

1) Rather than a 1/2" dia white bulb you could use a white led and paint the lens the relevant colours. You could then maybe use the throttle position to adjust the intensity and could use an oscillator (astable/bistable multivibrator http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astable) to pulse it.

2) You get all clever and write some simple embedded software to control the LEDs, if you used red, green and blue like this circuit here (http://picprojects.org.uk/projects/rgb/index.htm) then you could adjust intensity by varying the supply voltage to the LED's and also adjust the colour too. The other way to do is to put a ring of blue round the outside with some orange on the inside and adjust the colour mix.

If all of this is going over your head then sorry - I'm an electronics engineer - option 1 is quite simple though, it depends on the level of sophistication you want.

Everyone saying ultra / super bright led's aren't that bright in daylight is right!

Edited By Norman Webster on 11/04/2009 12:13:15

Edited By Norman Webster on 11/04/2009 12:13:34

• 4 weeks later...
Came across a german  site that did afterburner rings for jet models which looked ok on their video however as the cost was about 150euros thought it was a bit much not sure of site and it was about a year ago so might not be available. Suppose if you have a large jet powered model then the cost is relative but for slopesoaring or edf  the  unit woul cost more than the model.

• 5 years later...