A new breakthrough!

Hey! I think that there is potential here for achieving a world distance record.

The model could be flown from telephone mast to telephone mast so no need to worry about range. It could feed video back to the owners mobile phone so they could see where it is going.

Range would only be limited by fuel so a solar powered model with storage cells would see almost unlimited range.

The only snag that I can see is the exhorbitant cost of mobile phone calls once it gets to the Continent.

Well yes it was an April Fool's joke and I hope it raised a few smiles, it was a fun little idea I had a few weeks ago.  David thought it would be worth publishing on the site and managed to edit it to good effect  

Could it be done? I don't know.  Certainly not without some kind of peripheral device to do the transmitting as I'm sure a phone can't be made to transmit on 2.4GHz just by changing firmware.  A better question might be, is there any point in doing it?  I doubt it!  I mean can you really imagine flying with a device that gives you no kind of tactile feedback of where the sticks are?  No stick tension, no centrepoints, no kind of "feel" at all.  I couldn't fly that way!

I must admit I'm wary of these software driven phones which try to do everything.  I owned an early smartphone, an Orange SPV and it was shocking.  Slow to react, hard to use, bad battery life...  So these days I stick to a simple phone which just makes calls and does it well.

I'm sure I'll be tempted towards the iPhone in the end though, they seem to be hoovering up market share.