The Cafe

Former Member

Advert

Since anything goes in here,I need a job,the dole is not enough to pay for the many planes i need in my life...I am a joiner but will do anything for moneys.
Suggestions please 

Edited By r6Dan on 09/11/2010 13:40:24

The answer is really just to keep looking,something will come up soon!
Anyway I have a P51 to build(well an ARF put together),that should keep me out of trouble for a few days 

Posted by r6Dan on 09/11/2010 14:24:52:
Ha,Ha!  You wouldn`t believe the amount of CV`s I have sent out of late,upwards of 100! and still no luck,but thats not the worst thing I am gonna be out of glow fuel soon too! 

Dan, PM me.  My wife writes CVs for a living.  It maybe a good to have an independent eye look over it?

Just a thought.

Hi Dan,

it is very tough at the moment. A clubmate of mine was in a similar situation recently. Kept sending out CV's etc. Nowt. He was getting a bit down when right out of the blue someone he'd sent a CV to about three months earlier suddenly came on the phone asking him to come in "for a chat". Next thing he had a job.

Some companies don't just bin CV's and do come back to them when they have a vacancy to fill. So its worth carrying on even though I can appreciate it must be downheartening sometimes.

Hope you have the best of luck!

BEB

Posted by r6Dan on 09/11/2010 13:32:36:
Since anything goes in here,I need a job,the dole is not enough to pay for the many planes i need in my life...I am a joiner but will do anything for moneys.
Suggestions please 

When you try to give an opinion on things like this, it always feels awkward, like teaching granny to suck eggs.

In 2001 two colleagues of mine, returned to the UK at the same time. The on set about  only looking for a highly paid job as a business analyst / IT manage, the other (same skills, experience and position before) did anything. He worked at a filling station at night for a while, then carried printers around and plugged them in etc.  18 months later, he was an IT manager, the other one was still looking for the right job.

Can repeat the same story many times in a similar line, try to get in sweeping the floor in a company where somewhere in it there is a place for your skills, and in time, things could well improve and go up.

Another thing we noticed that is probably taken for granted here, it is easier to get a job if you have a job, doesn't really matter what it is you have.

Posted by r6Dan on 09/11/2010 13:32:36:
Suggestions please 

Dan,

Don't get too despondent, it may be time to move in a different direction, I did. But not from the position that your in, as I already had a job, all be it boring and poorly paid. I think the secret is to make your self something different. There  are only a few people like me in the UK working in local authorities, coordinating the asbestos activities of the LA and not as difficult as it sounds.

I've more than doubled my salary in seven years. To top it off, I've just requested early retirement which in view of the fact that I had a heart attack earlier this year, and have had it granted, so now I have a very good pension. on top of that I've been granted reduced hours (22.5 from 37) to keep my expertise in house for which their paying me 2.5 grand a year more than my current salary at the moment for working 3 days a week, and their dumping a Hugh wedge in my savings account as the icing on the cake.

So it may not be so bad as it seems at the moment. Do your P402 and 405, and you could have my old job when I go completely next year or some ones job like mine in your end of the world.

Chris.

Dan,

Didn't mention their looking for an asbestos and waste manager for 40K to work along side me or my successor when I go completely, and with the same pension deal, but you would need a P 405 and 3 years experience, so it might be a pointer in the right direction. I'm on the interview panel and like joiners.

Chris.

Edited By Big Bandit on 09/11/2010 18:37:03

I've more than doubled my salary in seven years. To top it off, I've just requested early retirement which in view of the fact that I had a heart attack earlier this year, and have had it granted, so now I have a very good pension. on top of that I've been granted reduced hours (22.5 from 37) to keep my expertise in house for which their paying me 2.5 grand a year more than my current salary at the moment for working 3 days a week, and their dumping a Hugh wedge in my savings account as the icing on the cake.

Chris.

chris-if you need a butler with a geordie accent.........pm me ASAP......     

wey aye man .....ken anderson   ne...1.

Ha,Ha!  You wouldn`t believe the amount of CV`s I have sent out of late,upwards of 100! and still no luck,but thats not the worst thing I am gonna be out of glow fuel soon too! 
Dan ,CVs are good but nothing is better than walking in and asking for a job. it shows your not lazy and really do want to work.
If I look for workers and just get a CV in the mail It gets binned.
Even a phonecall is more faceto face and worth a try.

Posted by kiwi g on 09/11/2010 18:57:27:
Dan ,CVs are good but nothing is better than walking in and asking for a job. it shows your not lazy and really do want to work.
If I look for workers and just get a CV in the mail It gets binned.
Even a phonecall is more faceto face and worth a try.

Thats the way I normally get work,I just turn up to a site with cv in hand and ask for a job,it is just sooooooooooo quiet on the buildings at the mo

Posted by ken anderson. on 09/11/2010 18:55:38:

Chris.

chris-if you need a butler with a geordie accent.........pm me ASAP......     

wey aye man .....ken anderson   ne...1.

Er...Ken....... I got here first I`m the dole scrounger!!

It seems like I have been working on this downstairs bog for ever, just about got all the tiles in place now and almost finished the woodbutchering so not too much more.
What has taken the time is trying to get the first of the bedrooms redecorated and the loo at the same time, I wanted to do the spare bedroom next but I need to be sure the leak in the roof is permanently fixed first so we are now going to do our bedroom next but first we have to empty it which will take best part of a day to move everything out of there.
May have a break from it on thursday and go shopping at Ikea, we left a lot of stuff behind when we left the other house as the buyers were first timers and didnt have a lot of spare cash and this needs replacing now, I like Ikea stuff because it is clean uncluttered design and always worth the money.

Posted by Phil Wood on 09/11/2010 23:15:02:
Posted by Stephen Grigg on 09/11/2010 22:35:37:
Phil congratulations on 60000 visits to the cafe

It's not down to me Stephen, you guys are the ones doing the posting so congratulate yourselves.
I feel sorry for any new members to the forum ............they'll have to trawl through over 200 pages if they want to see all that has gone on in the cafe.

I must confess to sometimes looking back through the posts, it's like a trip down memory lane.

Pol.

Yeh well done Polly - and while we are on the subject of lanes, and memories -  I hope you haven't forgotten the way to the big rock mate!