WOT Trainer undercarriage

Haffers

Hi all, 1st posting here and will intro myself with next post. Have got myself a WOT Trainer today and the u/c setup is optional for tricycle or tail-dragger.

Is it simpler to opt for the tricycle setup? I have never flown before so no experience whatsoever so interested in otehrs experiences to the setup and general comments re the WOT as well.

First of many questions I daresay 

Advert

It really depends on personal preference and/or the type of runway you will be operating from. I personally prefer a tricycle to train newbies with as they are easier to handle on the ground, but we have tarmac and hoggin runways. If you are flying off grass, you may find a tail dragger easier, as the nose wheel of a trike will dig into grass.
Hope this helps...

Hi Haffers,
Tail dragger every time, make it steerable (its quite easy) Then you can taxi out to your take off point, and show off a bit
A nose wheels is just too vulnerable when landing. the leg bends, and the steering gets messed up.
ernie

Having had both and constantly ripping the undercarriages off in whatever configuration I was given proper instruction as how to land properly.  Since that instruction I have not had one undercarriage pulled off.

You have not said if you are a member of a club but if you want to succeed with minimal expense and time fixing models  then join a club and get proper instruction.

Whatever please enjoy

Hi Hamish, membership of club in process and awaiting paperwork. The club dictates you have to have the A cert before going solo so already have some contacts for the instruction side there.
Have seen a couple of undercarriages come off and as you say, if you land correctly you eliminate that major issue!

I am just curious as to whether there is a perception the tricycle setup is easier to learn with.

Hi Haffers

My Wot Trainer works great as a tail dragger. The undercarriage mounts need a bit of beefing up though. Glue some triangular strip into the fuselage floor/side joint and across the bulkhead/floor joints.

It will help to keep things together when you make that slightly over enthusiastic landing

There are a number of reviews of the Wot Trainer on here. It is generally thought of as a good trainer, but watch the landings; it does float on.... and on.... and on.......

Happy Flying!

Pete

In the real world, tail-draggers are notoriously different/harder to get to grips with for reasons such as ground loop and prop strikes so i tend to think for a beginner tricycle must be better.
After all, why would nearly all trainers have tricycle undercarriage!! Also, most people learning to fly in real life will learn on tricycle for the simplicity and ease of use!

Obviously, i have only used tricycle so i cant comment too much on tail draggers but surely history/experience/previous products/real life must make tricycle the obvious choice.

Imho, putting a tail dragger system on a trainer is maybe an excuse for not being able to land properly.

Having a tricycle setup has to reduce the chance of prop strikes and ground looping which would inevitably happen, and maybe at high speed on take off!!!!!! 

As you can see, It really is a matter of opinion. cough*taildragger*cough.

I learnt to fly on both tail dragger and trike, and TBQH it makes no differance either way. Tail dragger can nose over, but only really happens in long grass. The nose leg on a trike will keep on bending after the first couple of rough landings. Flying and landing wise its just the same.A tail dragger will teach you how to land and take off properly whereas trikes will teach you how to taxi (is that really needed?!).

In your model flying career you will most deffinatley come across both and you can form your own opinion. 

Ben taildragger Mullins

Edited By Ben Mullins on 06/07/2009 21:41:49

Whist I learned to fly with a Boomerang,Trike U/C my collegue flew Wot trainer with trike U/C.We both fixed our front wheels instead of having them steer because you tend to oversteer at first.I was always bending my U/C back straight whereas he never had the need,.His take offs were good and his landings as well.He is a very nervous flyer ,but only had problems with engines.He passed his "A" before me and Your choice is a good one happy flying

Though it is true for full size that tricycle undercarriages save the day during training (and don't I know it) Ross, my experience with models would say that the advantage is somewhat cancelled out on a model.
I actually prefer no undercarriage on most of my models now!

See what they say at the club Haffers, I have a  HZ Cub which is a taildragger and PZ Trojan which is tricycle, neither are really a problem, but then again I don't land the Trojan on its nose wheel and I know the limitations of the cub in long grass or on a wet field when it tends to nose over. (In which case I just throw the thing instead). If you can talk to the modellers using your club strip there might be a clear preference because of conditions throughout the year at the strip, then again you might run into the same argument that both are best!

I think generally it's easier to set up a steerable tailwheel, you just need to link it to the rudder, very simple as you can buy it as a single unit. It's a litte more involved to set this up with a nose wheel because you will need pushrods and linkages and a steerable nose leg.

Generally I would say most of the problems with nose wheel are bad handling, but also that the traditional issues of full size and taildraggers is not all that obvious with models at all.

hello eric--easiest way is make your own--bit of bent piano wire-to connect to the rudder-you can buy tailwheel unit's ready to bolt on and they work with the rudder....save you the hassle...lms should have them in stock...common as muck.........if your stuck..pm me i'll draw out idea---hard to put in word's...or call round i'll put kettle on........

ken anderson.....n.e cafe.....1

Bit too far to call for a cuppa Ken but thanks anyway.   A drawing would be helpful but bear in mind that the Elevator and Rudder are directly over the end of the exsisting tailskid.   So i'm assuming that it will be difficult to attache a wire to the rudder & tail wheel.  Eric.

Both ways sound OK and advice from club member is to go for the tail-dragger as it gets a bit soft at the strip. Some points to ponder and always can convert.

Ken, I would also be interested in the sterrable tail wheel if you can let me know hot to get the info.....