David Vaughan P-51B

jan brilman

Advert

Hi

Thank you for all your help. I will be able to get started once my current build is complete along with some patience, more skill than I have currently poses and a load of materials.

On the subject of materials, I get the feeling now that balsa/ply builds have become almost niche, foam and quick assembled planes seem to be the modern way of RC in the time I’ve not been building.

Is this an almost non-existent hobby now? I was looking around for Balsa and Lite Ply and I’ve not found it as easy or cheap to source as I thought it would have been since my last build 20 years ago.

Regards

Martin

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I did speak to the BMFA once. It was suggested that models displayed with them were gifts, not on loan.

if the stance has changed then yes, of course.

there will of course be conditions. The first of which is, even though space is limited, some other aircraft from the collection must be displayed. The reasoning is simply because the P51, even though familiar to some is not his best work.

sound possible?

your thoughts?

Hi Rollo - I don't have any close affiliation with the National Centre, only as a BMFA member and visitor there. I do remember the coverage the P-51 received in the modelling press at the time and it was certainly a step-change in terms of scale detailing and finishing techniques.

I would certainly love to see it and other examples of your father's modelling skill.

It seems a shame that you would be unable to loan the models so they would be enjoyed by a wider audience but that you could keep ownership.

Dear Alan.
How can I express my immediate disappointment.

the models should be displayed with immediate effect as the whole hobby is without doubt in decline.

my ego would like me to hold an exhibition of all my fathers works. Models, paintings, ceramics and more. Unfortunately this is beyond my means.

I understand. I am not implying any disappointment with you, rather that the BMFA expect items to be gifted.

I was just imagining (naively?) a scenario where for one summer (perhaps) appreciative modellers could admire some of your dad's work in a suitable space.

It seems that reality bites and practicality rules it out. Oh well , it was just a thought.

I can't help following this thread out of interest, and must say the idea of the BMFA exhibiting some of David's creations as massively appealing, as along with separately perhaps those of some of the other greats like Mick Reeves for example.

As pointed out already the detailing on models has been superb over the years and really did take off from the mid/late 70's onwards I think in this country. Articles written by the likes of David, Mick, Brian Taylor and Gordon Whitehead I think re-focused many of us in efforts to detail our scale and even semi-scale models.

Aside from reminding those of us who were inspired originally, it might also newer generations?

Sorry Alan. I did not mean that I thought you were implying my disappointment. I am disappointed that you are not from the BMFA.
The little research I did found that all the collections of this type of aeronautical history are overwhelmed with gifts.
Departed loved ones are leaving families with innumerable amounts of these models.

the royal engineering exhibition in London was rammed to the ceiling with amazing examples of models from all disciplines and every year there is more.

I have no idea how to log, record, preserve this tiny part of it but I know I’m not alone. I also know that these models are all much much greater than the sum of their parts.
The engineers, tradesmen and suchlike that made these models brought a whole empire of skill to miniaturise these things into models. My dad brought a little artistic licence by smudging a grubby finger in the right place.
That smudge is however born on the back of a lifetime of varied experiences executed by the artist.
I know I obviously have bias on this as dad was my hero . I will never have that skill and artistry. I do know that to really show the the creator of such things the exhibit as a whole is more than one of his(her/it/them/z) works

• 3 years later...

By the way, the other day I was looking (again) at the plans and noted that there is a (I think ) huge mistake.

The rear side of the fuselage is drawn far too wide (compared to the Mariusz Lukasik drawings).

The corresponding former is also drawn wrong.

Be aware.

(Anyone building the model?)

jan.

Edited by jan brilman

• 1 month later...

Hello aero modellers of the world.
 I still have dads models in storage. I hope they are fairing well in their wooden tombs. The P51-B also has all the plans with it but I assume they do not differ from those that are already published. 
 I am still unsure what do do with dads models, there are quite a few. The generation of modellers (mostly young  boys) after the war produced many thousands of aircraft which are now in the custodianship of family members. Cash strapped museums have been inundated by the heirs of these flying machines who want them preserved. 
 It is easy to imagine the reality as these delicate airframes made of balsa, tissue and dope are stacked, moved and stored. 

Might a digital museum or archive be a viable thing for posterity? 
 I’m broke and quite lacking technical skills I am reaching out to the genius that I know the aero modelling community possesses for ideas. 

Kind Regards to all

Rollo