David Vaughan P-51B

jan brilman

Advert

That's good news, KC!

I have a copy and I am sitting looking at it!  

That's a big thumbs up for the way you organise your sources!

If all other opportunities fail, I'll turn to you.

Even if it are just some notes, I really would like to know what the master himself said about the plane and its construction.

(You probably all know that this is the best P-51 model design ever!?)

I'm going to build her 20% enlarged, i.e. 84" wingspan.

jan brilman

It is full of little tips on construction that are original.  Ideas for making the cowl and making it fit nicely, curving balsa instead of planking etc.
He does advise that a beginner " should wait until he has  a  Lancaster or 2 under his belt" !!!!

Of flying he said "never once did it drop a wing"  and " stall is gentle and straight "

What little of the plan that is shown in the mag shows it is  full of notes on construction.

Edited By kc on 07/08/2009 19:18:40

I already have the plans; I just want to know what he says about the construction.

I haven't built two Lancasters (yet), but I feel confident I can manage the build.

The plans were drawn end of the 70's; nowadays (30 years later) we have quiet a lot of extra resources (hinges, electro motors, Profili, e.g.), that make the life of a (scale-)builder a lot easyer . . .

jan brilman

If you want a scanned copy of the article send me a PM with your e-mail address.

If this model flies so well why build it at a larger scale which will surely entail much redesign?
I would have expected that the Brian Taylor P51D at the same size 69" would fly equally well.  ( note the Taylor  plan supplier has a canopy avail  which says D or B ) 

If this model flies so well why build it at a larger scale which will surely entail much redesign?

Well , I just wanted to build a somewhat larger model.

There will be some redesign involded, but not that much: electro motors put less stress on the airframe!

I also wanted some nice and good retracs, and bought a beautiful set from Sierra Precision, that were made for the 84" TopFlite Mustang.

So, that sums it up, i think.

And yes, I would like to have the scanned article!

Thanks!

jan brilman.

• 3 weeks later...
So, now I have the plans and the construction article, and as said earlies, in the article he claims the model flew great.  Smiley

He also says that he drew the plans after he had built the model that flew so well.

So far everything is fine, but on the plans are some peculiarities, that I would like to discuss with Mr. Vaughan, or have clarified in whatever way.

There is a CenterLine (CL) on the plan for the fuselage.

Compared to that line, the motor is drawn with 1.1° downthrust, but on the plan he says: 2° downthrust!  Undecided

Compared to the CL the wing has an angle of attack of approx. + 0.4°; that's what is drawn.

But may be Mr. Vaughan thought it was + 1.0°, because he hasn't drawn the center line through the rib in the right way! (Mistake?)

The tailplane is drawn at 0°, but there is a text:
   Tailplane shown in neutral (that's correct (jb.))
   Original use + 1° pos. incidence.

Undecided

Of course I would like to build a model that will fly as good as his model did!

But what values should I use???

So, if anyone knows the answers to my question (what is the proper setup), or knows how to contact Mr. Vaughan, please.

Thanks!  Smiley

jan brilman
(netherlands)

(By mistake also posted in the RCMF forum: I keep mixing them up . . . )

• 9 years later...

This is David's original Mustang that won the world Champs, it has been boxed up for storage by his son. He was trying to find a home for them so that they could be preserved and viewed, I am unsure how he got on.

I remember David saying on a few occasions up at the patch that his models should have a 'Viking burial' once he had passed.

Considering the Mustangs its age its in pretty good condition, everything made from scratch. He was a master at weathering which at the time had not been seen before in this detail (so I have been told).

If you are interested I have photos of some of his other models that his son took before boxing up?

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 08/05/2019 12:14:58

• Like 1

Considering the Mustangs its age its in pretty good condition, everything made from scratch. He was a master at weathering which at the time had not been seen before in this detail (so I have been told).

Dave Vaughan was undoubtedly a master of 'weathering' a model,he wrote an article in , I think, Radio Modeller magazine about the technique required.He used artists crayons and chalk,I think,applied mainly with his fingertips,he was an art teacher,I believe.However,the first modeller to apply 'weathering' to a model was Dave Platt,around 1965. The model was his Douglas Dauntless,which astounded everybody when it was shown at the 'nats' in,I think,1965.It was described in the model press as looking so ancient,it positively creaked! Dave crashed the model on the Saturday,and rebuilt it overnight to fly on the Sunday!Can't remember how he placed in the comp,but the model started a trend for all military aircraft to look 'beaten-up'...………………...Mal

• 4 weeks later...

Hello

I am also planning on building the David Vaughan P-51B, i have the plans but if anyone does have the additional information from RCM&E 1979 or additional notes that could be emailed i would be really grateful.

I am returning to building after a 20 year gap (so i'm brand new to forum) and i'm in the middle of building a spitfire to get the practice back in, i've been trying to absorb the David Vaughan plans for a few months now during the spitfire build and it looks like a masterpiece of design. I will however want to give it a brushless motor.

Thanks

Martin

Martin, welcome to the forum.

As you can see from an earlier posting I have the RCME issue and I scanned it and supplied to the person requiring it - but it was 10 years ago so the file was on my old computer. If I cannot find the old file I will scan the article again for you. You will need to send me Personal Message ( see Message member below) with a normal E-mail address. Will take me a couple of days to find the file or the magazine though.

Edited By kc on 06/06/2019 12:53:59