H9 80" J3 Cub to L4 Grasshopper.

Hello all. Just thought I'd make a little thread covering the journey to convert my H9 J3 Cub into a L4 Grasshopper. Its going to hopefully be as scale as I can make it, but with the least amount of effort. I haven't the time to go to town on her before Basingstoke's electric fly-in in mid Sept and I plan to take her to that. But I'm guessing its not going to be a great deal of trouble to change her so here goes.

Stripped her down and removed all Cub yellow covering, removing all flaps and parts etc too. I managed to get hold of a scale 1/5 scale fully sprung U/C unit for a Cub so will replace the supplied unit for this. Landings weren't very smooth or soft either with standard u/c, so the benefits will be two fold...a much more scale looking unit and one that dampens landing much like the full-size too. The only down side is the weight. This new U/C weighs 10oz more than that supplied. But as long as I still have near 100watts per pound I'll be happy. Hole's have now been drilled in the original U/C mount blocks and this area reinforced where needed ready for new U/C to be mounted.

The rear portion of the cabin behind the L/E has been cut away to resemble as closely as possible that of the L4 cub, without compromising structural integrity. Well I hope so anyway. Paper thin birch ply was then used to cover the inside rear portion of this cabin area. This will then be painted O/D along with the rest of the exposed internals.

Started tonight with the covering. I'm using natural solatext which will be sealed with thinned non-shrinking dope before applying the Olive drabb and grey underside paints. In theory, this should fill the text weave and prevent the sprayed paint seeping through the covering, therefore requiring less coats, giving a more even finish and saving weight. Although I'm still a little concerned as to the amount of extra weight I'll be adding to the model with the solatext, paint, new U/C and extra rear glazing etc.

The model is power by a Eflite power 46 running off a 4 cell 5000mah lipo (though I will try a 5 cell A123 pack too) and with a CC60 BEC. Swinging an APC 13x6 I'm getting around 650ish watts for around 45amps. I hope that I'll still get good steady performance with this set-up even with any new additional weight gain. That said I'd pretty much always flown her at around half throttle once I was up, so we should be ok.

The hope is to have her covered and doped ready for spraying by the weekend. Not much really in this make over, but I thought I'd share my progress none the less. I convert my old Carl Goldberg 1/6 scale J3 to an L4 many glow years ago. I've always wanted an electric equivalent that flew as well as it before its demise (she was very sweet on the 48Surpass I had in her), and I hoping this will be it.

prop.

Before:

The new U/C compared to old:

Progress thus far:

Edited By propogandhi on 19/08/2009 01:10:50

Hi,
I suppose the big problem about the military version is the glasshouse cockpit, which needs some pretty fancy structure.
If you need some wonderful pictures of  all the wartime light planes, have a look at the book 'Fighting Grasshoppers' It's available at Amazon

ernie   

• 2 months later...
Hi Xander, send me a pm with your email address and I'll forward you the guy's details. He custom makes scale U/C and this one I have cost £50.

No progress on the Cub at this time, I'm just waiting to be able to afford a new air compressor, then I can get on with the spraying and get her finished.

prop.

• 6 months later...
The conversion is now almost complete after a busy weekend in the work shop (hence the mess!). I'm basically happy with the result, although the 'Warbird Colors' give a more glossy finish than I'd like. The scale U/C sits the fuzz a little too high for my liking too, but hey, she good to go.

Just a few little details to sort here and there and I hope to fly her in a week or so's time, so will let you guy's know how it goes. To be honest I havn't put that much love into finishing the model, I just kind of lost the energy for it, but I'm looking forward to flying her non the less.

prop.

• 1 month later...
Very Nicely Done! She looks a real beauty in the air!

I Have an L-4, 'Bout a 78' Span, Built from some tricky belgian plans and looks almost as nice as yours, just covered in a fabric.

Had one try to fly her, and found the motor was far too strong, and in my inexperience failed to ease (just bunged power on to be fair) the power on and did not use rudder to correct! But she is ready to go again at the next oportunity

Congrats

Paddy

• 1 year later...

Hi, blast from the past this one. Well its a hanger 9 model so you Horizon hobby should have spares for it. Find a local model shop that deals with Horizon and they'll be able to order it for you. here is the part:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/painted-cowl-j-3-cub-40-HAN4004

its the same part number. Also might be best to ring Horizon hobby UK ans check that they actually have it to order:

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/about_us.html#contact