Engine casting crack repair

John A Cole

I have a Mills 075 Indian with a crack on the front cranckase, behind the prop driver. Hasnt effected the brass bearing or the running, but the crack looks unsightly. Whats the best way to deal with the crack and also to avoid any further damage? Could I file the cranckcase down over the crack and rebuild with metal filler, reshape, and paint with exhaust manifold paint or smoothrite etc? Thoughts?.......

Advert

Your biggest is going to be getting the oil out of the crack. If there's a boat builder close by they might have an expert aluminium welder. They'll often do the repair out of interest, or a 6 pack. I've seen them weld .5mm sheet together! Amazing!

Hi . Have thought about replacing the c/case ? I know this ounds obvious but I bet there arehundreds of Indian mils out there with broken bits and good c/cases  . If you cant get one that way have you thought about using Technoweld ? It melts at a much lower temp than the ali and brass bearing and you only need a small blow lamp. Basic set costs around a tenner ( or it used to) . Hope you get it sorted.