Using magnets for hatches & canopies

Myron Beaumont

Just a quicky !  I have two small round magnets I have left over from a kit that I have never used ,but because I have to have several goes at binding one of my Rx's each time ,I want to use a magnetic fixing on the access hatch(cockpit) before I drop the present screw & loose it & to save fiddling just before letting go .My question is -Do I use one magnet to stick to the other OR one magnet & a steel insert , It's the devils own job to seperate them with a direct pull!
Location is not a problem as there are dowels for that, Which ever way,I assume epoxy will hold  it/them ,The structure is balsa on both surfaces but the canopy is fashioned from foam stuck to 1/8" balsa ,
Never used them before -can someone please advise ?
G-UMPY

Advert

Bonjour Myron

I use them all the time.
They are really strong, I use one, with a wee bit of steel plate to fix it too, but you need to get a good fixing or you'll pull them off the airframe 
If you need more. you can get a good selection for next to nothing on ebay
Finally, it's strange, but they they break into tiny bits really easily

ernie

Myron - do you mean to bind, or to aquire/lock on to the transmitter?  I think Myron means that his receiver needs to be switched on a couple of times to locate and lock to the transmitter.  I've got one that acts the same, perfect operation once locked on, but if the transmitter is too close it appears to swamp the rx preventing it from locking on.  I presume Myron has an internal switch or, like me, has to disconnect/reconnect the battery on leccy models to reset the rx.

As for magnets, on the Easystreet I used those from a dead outrunner in pairs, half a dozen glued around the hatch opening in the fuselage flush with the edge, then a layer of cling-film smeared with vaseline, drop on some more magnets allowing them to self-align with the ones in the fuselage, coat with epoxy and tape the hatch on.   Perfectly secure, and doesn't even need the dowels to keep it aligned.

I'm a bit wary of single magnets after helping clubmates chase down errant canopies held on by just one or two magnets.

Quite. Losing bind is very unusual  - indeed I have never experienced it in 3 years of using exclusively Spektrum 2.4Ghz gear and thousands of flights - not connecting properly to the Rx for other reasons such as you mention Bob does however happen, but its easily rectified, but is NOT the same as "losing bind".
I always make a habit of "stick wiggling" EVERY time I am about to launch / fly to confirm that the Tx and Rx are talking to each other.
Of course, Myrons gear is different stuff, so who knows what is happening

Bob
 Exactly It takes usually two attempts but once it took three !
Timbo
No,as you summise  I have not lost the bind (yet?) It's the Corona Rx no2 fitted to the Optic 6  as you probably remember . It's very odd but it appears I'm not alone -which is some comfort My other two are fine now & I wonder whether changing to "Instants " all round has anything to do with it ?
G-UMPY

Tim - I'm using Corona, which is why I can understand Myron's frustration.  3 out of 4 receivers work as expected, the other one is a bit fussy - maybe slightly higher or lower gain aerial than the others?  Whatever, it works just fine once locked on with no discernible loss of range. 
Myron, I've moved the odd receiver between models using 5v bec, 4.8v nimh and 6v instants and not noticed any difference in it's behaviour.  Now I just accept that it's 'differently oriented' to use the current terminology.  Currently it's in a sloper so I can switch it on and off a few times while huddled down over it 'protecting it from the wind' so no-one starts asking what's up with it and why it doesn't work - usually followed by 'should have bought futaba/jr/spektrum'.
As for the looks when the £800 glass ship brigade see me bringing out the all singing all dancing 6ch £50 2.4gHz outfit

anyway - multiple magnets you know it makes sense

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 02/09/2009 16:54:19