Saito engines

Hi. I have been flying model aeroplanes now for about 5 years. I have had all different 4 stroke engines including the os range. I have now sold all my os engines and now run saito engines. I currently have the 125 and the 180 and have never experianced such quality, reliabile and performance. On top of that they seem to be about 30% cheaper than the os equivilant. Has anyone else out there had similar experiances or has anyone has any problems.
?

If I remember correctly the five cylinder which is 52 c.c. has a quoted power output of 3.8 b.h.p.. The 90 R3 three cylinder (15 c.c.)is 0.95 b.h.p.. The 170 three cylinder (27.8 c.c.) is 2 b.h.p. and finally the 450 R3 three cylinder (75 c.c.)has 5.5 b.h.p..
Yes they are less powerful than an equivalent sized single "pot" but they also swing a large diameter prop. very smoothly.

Mike

ps Jetsome your comment about a "design weakness" is hardly fair as most four stroke manufacturers have their engines pushrods at the front. Enya is the only one I know of that puts them at the rear, and there are one or two smaller capacity engines which have them at the side.

Ahh you've got an RCV 120 SP too have you. Small word of caution take every nut and bolt and give them a good dollop of thread locking fluid and do them up tight.
I had one in a Hellcat from Flair, after sorting out the engine the maiden flight took place and it was good even if afterwards I had to take the cowl off to tighten up the silencer which had worked loose. Then after the maiden flight knee knocking had ceased I went for the second flight, just as the wheels left the ground the engine started to cough / sneeze.
Our field on that take off direction drops down so there was no chance of setting down safely, the wings started to waffle about and then stalled. Exit one model, the post mortem revealed that despite tight bolts the carb. had vibrated loose.
Hope you have better luck, by the way have you seen the silencer from Keleo Creations in Oregon, no way is that baby going to vibrate loose. If I can find the web address I'll post it here as they do silencers for various engines inc. Saito. I have three for my radials and the one for the 120 SP.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...
hi guys

SAITO 180?

i am building the latest YT Adrenaline freestyle 3D aerobat (78")

firstly do i fit a 2stroke, 4stroke or petrol?

secondly - i was just about to click on "buy it now" on a saito 180 when i happened upon this thread and saw rumours of exploding crankcases and anti-vibe mounts????

so sould i / should i not use an anti-vibe mount and WHY ?

If i had enough money (yeah, right) to buy a YS-160 it comes with a factory fitted anti-vibe mount??

any advice greatly recieved

cheers

chris

Well for what it is worth I'll chuck in my tuppence worth and say, use them. In this thread Jetsome mentioned an "exploding" crankcase, well this is the first time I've heard or come across this. Crashes are mentioned ,if the exploding engine was involved in a crash might some damage have occured ? Could it have been due to a casting flaw in the crankcase ? Jetsome may have been extremely unfortunate in this instance.
As for the mufflers blowing apart all I can say is this, my Saito 91 uses the original silencer in an inverted set up in my Swallow EX90 and shows no sign of dropping off or blowing apart.

Mike

Bought a new Saito 180 absolutely superb, used in Protech 72"Giles 202.a very powerful motor.Used ali. mounts direct to firewall and on board glow engine mounted inverted.
Have a Laser 150,Beautifully engineered by Neil Tidey, have used both types of mounting with no problems.
Have a Enya 120 FS as yet un-run and will power a 72" Scale Tucano.
My only other 4 stroke is an OS48Surpass and sold a 120.Pumper which never missed a beat in 8years and it was secondhand then! I note Chris Dorn's dilemma but the Saito 180 would be a good choice.There are 3Flair Yak 54s in our club all powered by the Fuji 32ATM Petrol These are superb motors,easy hand start and 100%reliable. The Yak needs the weight up front but as I don't know the new Adrenaline you 'pays your money and makes yer choice'but petrol and big four strokes are way to go in large models.Be interested in your final choice Chris but good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...
I have several Saitos (including a 150), all mounted inverted, and all run perfectly. Once run-in and set up they just go on working as they should without the need to continually re-adjust anything.
The quality, reliability and performance is oustanding in my opinion. Just look at the huge range of 4 stroke engines Saito produce, much more than any other manufacturer. They clearly have the experience, and the ability, to produce small and large capacity engines in both single and multi cylinder format. Other manufacturers' engines may be good too, but I agree with Mudflap, personally I wouldn't currently buy a F/Stroke other than a Saito. That said, I do own an OS Gemini 160 F/S twin which is an excellent engine, and an OS10FP. So I'm not completely biased!

• 3 weeks later...

My Saito 100 has been superb!

They will run on 30% which many engines wont, but even on 10% they are fantastic!

Mines never stopped, and this is with the tank on the CG (about a foot back). Its good its never stopped cos its spent most of its time about 3 foot off the deck doing 3d

Fitted in an Inspire 60.

Chris,

What kind of a flyer are you? What are you looking to do with your Adrenaline. If you are looking for a competition level version, you want a YS 160/140 or Hacker C50.

They are best when kept light. To this end Petrol is not best.

If you cannot afford a YS 160, go with a Moki 180. My Moki 135 is a beast!

Run it on Model technics Big Brute fuel - what i use for Moki's and, IMO the best fuel for them. Running on synth or Nitro makes them unhappy!

Hope this helps

Reuben

• 1 year later...
yes i agree with most of what has been said about how good the saito's are. i have an acrowat and the saito fa91 has never stopped on me once. have an on-board glow on it now just so it looks good starting it with a wireless starter, from my helicopter days, I am an instructor and i use the acro to teach "A" cert students to do mild aerobatics. it sounds great looks good and on 15% nitro again from my Helli, has loads of power. the acro was built by tery walton from criss foss and is glass clothed inside so it heavier than most but it still vertical for as long as i want with the saito.I am about to put on a super quite silencer from just engines to make it even quieter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
hi there, ive got two saito engines. a 62 in a piper pawnee and a saito 40 in a jumper 25 and they both run great. i ve never had a dead stick with either and they start up so easily. the sound of them is real music to my ears as they hurtle across the sky and a small trail of smoke all adds to the realism. i would wholeheartedly recommend saito four stroke engines to anyone. u wont be disappointed.