Which Radio?

Rookie

Hello all,

Does anyone have any suggestion on a decent radio that will last me a considerable time as i dont want to have to keep upgrading...but at the same time i dont want to spend £1600 on a Radio.

I'm looking around the £300 mark hopefully with Rx and servos, i do not have a favourite brand etc so feel free to post your advice on any radio brand/model around my price range....also i will be purhasing Phoenix RC Simulator so i need it to work with that.

Many thanks inadvance.

Ps. sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Edited By jamie brace on 08/09/2009 20:23:01

Advert

This will develop into a bun fight very quickly, so here is a rough summary which I hope everyone can agree on (in the main)

Your radio should be 2.4GHz frequency, avoid 35MHz for security of your models.

The 2 main brands are Futaba and Spektrum.  Both have very secure 2.4 "coding" to prevent inteference.  There are other brands of varying quality, but I would advise sticking to either of the main 2.

As a very broad rule of thumb it seems Futaba sell the cheaper transmitters, and Spektrum sell the cheaper receivers.

Pick either, and half the people will tell you you are wrong...........whilst the other half will tell you you were right.  Actually there seem to be more Spekky users on here, but it might be worth seeing what your local club tends towards since they will be the ones giving you the most help. 

The other issue is something called mode.  Again there are 2 choices- mode 1 and mode 2.  Simply the throttle is on the right for mode 1, left for mode 2.  Neither is better than the other, but again see what your local club prefers as it will be easier to find an instructor with the same mode.  I think about 80% of fliers are mode 2, but if your club is mode 1 it might cause you an issue.

Hope this helps, and is neutral.

ps Futaba is better than Spekky

Funny you should say that Futaba is better than Spektrum as its the only name i recognised and although i am not bias (yet) i have been looking at a Futaba Tx, Rx and servo combo which is here http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.u...asp?id=24682 it is 2.4Ghz and its the £274.99 package i am looking at. is that a good package with decent servos etc?

Many thanks for your replies.

AARRGGGHHH you listened to the one bit of my post that will get me into a fight!!

Seriously though, that's an excellent radio and will do the job you need more than adaquately for a long time.  In the interests of neutrality and fairness though, the equivalent spektrum system would also.

It certainly is worth hunting round though, sometimes you can catch offers on sets.  Inwood models has the same set at £259, and if you change to S3003 servos (non digital standard Futaba budget servos (more than adaquate for a trainer)) you can get the price down to a bargain £209!!

Andy's advice is good (apart from the ps!)

I cannot be impartial as I favour Spektrum. I have had 3 Futaba systems (including the FF7) and they performed faultlessly. When I moved to 2.4Ghz, my intention was to stay with Futaba, not least because of the time spent learning how to program them!

A visit to Inwoods persuaded me to transfer my allegance, mainly due to the cost of receivers. As you move on you will find that you will need more and more receivers, and Spektrum/JR definately win on cost and variety.

After over a years use, I now prefer the Spektrum for build quality, features and feel. The issue of programming was soon forgotten and I feel that the Spektrum way is more intuative.

Having used both, it is my considered opinion and experience that the Spektrum DX7 is superior in most key areas to the FF7. It does cost a bit more (£230 without servos and charger), but is still within your budget. You may find that your model requires other than 'standard servos' anyway, and there is a huge choice of servo at all price points available.

My suggestion would be to find a model shop with both in stock and try them out yourself. Meanwhile, enjoy what will undoubtedly become a very lively debate.

Posted by jamie brace on 08/09/2009 20:48:26:
Funny you should say that Futaba is better than Spektrum as its the only name i recognised and although i am not bias (yet) i have been looking at a Futaba Tx, Rx and servo combo which is here http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.u...asp?id=24682 it is 2.4Ghz and its the £274.99 package i am looking at. is that a good package with decent servos etc?

Thats not quite true is it Jamie....I did tell you about Spektrum on the other thread you started.
PS Andy is wrong ...Spekky rules OK

I have the Futaba FF7 and it is a really good dedicated 2.4gig radio system. However having seen many spektrum systems and owning a DX5 i can see the advantage of DSM2 bind and fly ability that many parkzone products and others use. Also the spektrum recivers are slightly cheaper than the Futaba ones. But, and its a big but, the futaba system feels more like a quality product and the sticks feel is better on the futaba for me. In all the 11 years i have been flying i have always flown futaba and never, ever had a problem with any of my futaba transmitters or recievers. For me futaba is still the best, but if you are into the bind and fly models, that i have a couple of, Specktrum is for you.

Posted by Timbo - Moderator on 08/09/2009 22:43:27:
Posted by jamie brace on 08/09/2009 20:48:26:

Thats not quite true is it Jamie....I did tell you about Spektrum on the other thread you started.
PS Andy is wrong ...Spekky rules OK

Are you following me Timbo -
I havent even been here 24hours and you have caught me out......  i was referring to hearing the name alot as opposed to Spektrum (used to R/C Cars you see), am i succeeding in convincing you or is the hole just getting bigger and bigger lol.
you guys are awesome, i have never laughed on a forum like you guys are with your favourite radios!!

Oliver Giles - what on earth is DSM2 bind and fly? i assume you link the Tx/Rx or something...but how does it work with Futaba?

Clive Mathews - many thanks for the advice, i shall shop around.

Edited By jamie brace on 09/09/2009 00:51:10

Edited By jamie brace on 09/09/2009 00:54:47

Hi Jamie. DSM2 is the system used by Spektrum on their excellent 2.4Ghz radios...did I mention that they were excellent
This DSM2 protocol is used on the built in receivers that are found in many of the indoor / lightweight flying models such as the Vapor, and Blade MCX ( google em )
These great little models come in two versions
1) Complete to fly  - including transmitter
2) BNF ( bind and fly ) for less money, they come without a transmitter. In this case you can use the Spektrum transmitter that you already have ...'cos you made the right decision and bought one of these instead of a Futaba didnt you
They are great Transmitters...did I mention that??

PS Very unlikely to find them these days, but do NOT buy a Spektrum DX6 - these were designed for land based stuff ( cars ) and wont worlk.
The DX6i is fine and will work, but is very limited compared to the DX7.... which is excellent by the way in case I didn mention that

Haha Nice Post Timbo.....i have looked around and found a Spektrum DX7/2.4Ghz for £279.99 the website says "The DX7 Spektrum is supplied with an AR7000 receiver, 4 x DS821 Digital servos plus accessories and a 1500mAh NiMH transmitter battery." are those servos and reciever good? also what type of Rx battery would i need?

I think i am definately going to have to goto a local model shop and try them both for feel to see which one i prefer.

Edited By Rookie on 09/09/2009 09:29:30

The receiver and servos supplied are superb but the thing with receivers, batteries and servos is that they are often different for each model. You will need to be sure that they will fit your intended model.

With 2.4Ghz kit, it is almost essential that you go for a 6v RX pack (see below). The supplied ones are usually 4.8v. It is for these reasons that Spektrum do not supply a RX battery (and not at all to get the cost down) Though failing to supply a charger is annoying!

If you buy from a model shop, they are usually happy to swap servos etc.

The voltage issue is due to potential 'brown outs'. The receivers, especially if used with digital servos could suffer from voltage drop leading to a temporary shut down. I know of 2 incidents (both Futaba but could have been any make) where this is strongly suspected to have caused a crash.

Edited By Clive Matthews on 09/09/2009 09:57:00

The Model i will be getting first is the Chris Foss WOT 4 Mk.2, would the servo's work in that? any suggestion on battery for it?

Also i don't suppose i could trouble you for a link to the sort of battery i need could i? also is there any material (hopefully online) that i can read in order to learn about the different batteries used in model rc flying and how to take care of them etc?

Many thanks for your patience with me.

Edited By Rookie on 09/09/2009 11:17:24

Hi all,

While i have this question in my head i am going to ask it, it is most probably a stupid question, but i shall ask anyway as i would like to know.

Here goes .......radios (like the spekky and futaba i have linked above) have 7 channels (which i assume means you can have 7 servos in your model), but what can you use all the switches on the top of the handset for?

Also where can i get a support strap for my handset so it hangs from my neck?

well they are my silly questions of the day and look forward to the answers.

Edited By Rookie on 09/09/2009 14:36:42

Hi Rookie, Don't mind stupid questions, we've all been through it

An important bit of advice is to join a club, and find someone to teach you to fly.
It is better if your radio is the same make as your instructor, so that you can link to it and he can take over when (not if) you get into bother. Also, take note of which
mode the club members use, so that you can easily find someone to test fly your pride and joy.

Switches on top can be for a multitude of functions, which you might, or might not need as you develop....retracting undercart...flaps...air brakes... rate switches, which enable you to vary the throws on control surfaces in flight.
I once had a function which was connected to a micro servo in the pilots body, so that he would wave on a low flypast.

You can get a neck strap from a photographic dealer

anything else? ernie

Posted by Rookie on 09/09/2009 11:16:37:
The Model i will be getting first is the Chris Foss WOT 4 Mk.2, would the servo's work in that? any suggestion on battery for it?

Also i don't suppose i could trouble you for a link to the sort of battery i need could i? also is there any material (hopefully online) that i can read in order to learn about the different batteries used in model rc flying and how to take care of them etc?

Many thanks for your patience with me.

Edited By Rookie on 09/09/2009 11:17:24

Err..how about this for starters rookie?
Theres also LOADS of stuff on the forum in the electric flight general section.

Edited By Timbo - Moderator on 09/09/2009 16:55:13

1st question, yes I'm sure that the Wot 4 will take most standard servos. I don't know whether it needs 4 or 5 servos. I suspect that it can be either, someone here will know.

Batteries, this is the type that I use http://www.tantronics.co.uk/acatalog/Info_rc-tor-rx6-15-hmp.html. As previously discussed, 6v for 2.4Ghz. Again I'm pretty sure that it will fit but best get advice from a Wot 4 owner.

Silly question? Not at all, a very pertinent question as it is not as simple as most people think. Yes you can have 1 servo per channel, but often you will have more. An example here would be a 2 servo wing, where the aileron servos are joined before plugging into the aileron channel (named aileron on Spektrum or 1 on Futaba) Therefore, a model such as a Wot4 can be flown on a 4channel set. However, in the 2 servo wing example, there are advantages of using a channel per servo. This is achieved by using the computer mixing options in the transmitter (simple with a JR/Spektrum, slightly more so with Futaba). The advantages here would be; redundancy, if 1 channel fails, the other aileron will get you home, mixing options such as flapperons where the ailerons can be set to also operate as flaps or spoilers, and cost - no Y lead needed. DON'T WORRY, it's not as complicated as it sounds and with the model in front of you, setting up becomes clear.

Function of switches - there will be switches to adjust rates, the amount of control deflection. You will also be able to configure switches to switch on mixes such as rudder to aileron, or they may simply operate a servo such as retractable undercart or flaps. There will also be a trainer and timer switch.

This will seem like a lot to take in. But please understand that you will be unlikely to need all this knowledge for your first steps into the hobby. We are talking about advanced functions which can be utilised further down the road when you will perhaps be using 4 servo wings etc.

Battery care, the best advice that I can offer is to use a dedicated charger such as this. The advantage is that you will be able to read the condition of your batteries or at the very least, get a battery moniter from here.

Edited By Clive Matthews on 09/09/2009 17:22:58

Thanks guys for all your replies, i'm taking a look at the links as i type this.

I will be going to my local club on saturday to chat with them and find out what radio's are most popular as well as which mode they use (hope its mode 2 as that feels most natural going by my RC car days).

I have just come back from my local club flying field and although nobody was flying (too windy), i did meet a guy who has recently started flying, we had a chat and i was able to look at his model (cant remember name).....they are quiet big lol.

I did learn that although the flight season is coming to an end, the club runs indoor flying over the winter.....and as i have an X-Twin cheap foamie as well as a Lama V3 heli (need to get a replacement tail and blades as there wasnt enough room in my living room haha), i am hoping to be able to fly them which will help me enjoy the winter more.

I will find out on saturday when i go all the way to my local club (about 1.5 miles away lol) if i'll be able to fly either or both of these models and i'll keep you all posted on any progress i make.

Ps. this is my local clubs website if you fancy a nose Redruth RC Flying club.

Edited By Rookie on 09/09/2009 18:38:35

This has been the most civilised radio discussion in a long time. 

I could go on that "brown outs" seem to be far more prevelant with spektrum rather than Futaba, but in truth both systems are perfectly fine.  I suggest you visit your club BEFORE you buy your radio and check out what is most commonly used there- because there will be more help and support for that type of radio.  Also make sure you remember to check what mode people fly- it will probably be 2, but not necessarily.  Make sure your radio matches that too.

Andy, from tests I've seen both Spektrum and Futaba have the same low voltage tolerance. Spektrum being 1st on the market hadn't recognised this and the reboot time of the earlier Rx's was too long when the voltage recovered.

But this was cured with updated firmware a couple of years ago and now the Spektrum Rx's reconnect almost instantaneously and if anything slightly quicker than the Futaba FAAST system. The Spektrum Rx's also start blinking if they have seen a brownout, this is a useful feature because 99% of the time you will not notice anything flight, but if the RX is blinking on landing then you know there is a power supply problem and can check it.

Hiya guys,

thanks for the posts and info, i was just wondering if you saw my last post on page 1 as andy says in his post to visit my local club before purchasing a Rx etc and my last post has something about me going to the club on saturday to find out which radio's are most used.

Ps. i'm just checking that you know its there

All systems regardless of transmission frequency and type have the potential (pardon the pun) for 'brown out'. The difference with digital systems such as the current crop of 2.4Ghz sets, is that the receiver is 'bound' to the transmitter. In simple terms, rather than the receiver working because it is simply  the same frequency as the transmitter, the transmitter and receiver now recognise each other regardless of frequency.

Previous systems would be compromised by a second transmitter operating on the same frequency, whereas the current crop of 2.4 Ghz systems will ignore other signals. this is crearly a huge advantage and probably the most attractive feature of 2.4Ghz systems.

As Frank has highlighted, to achieve this, the binding process on 2.4Ghz systems takes time, depending on the system type, anything from a couple of seconds to micro seconds.

With 35Mhz systems, when a low voltage condition occured at the receiver, the recovery would be so instantanious that in most cases the event went unnoticed. The delay in 're-binding' on 2.4Ghz systems has caused some incidents due to 'brown out'.

Although current systems have a very quick recovery time, the best way to avoid the condition is to use a 6v receiver battery. Some 2.4Ghz systems are sold with 4.8v batteries increasing the potential  for problems.

Edited By Clive Matthews on 10/09/2009 08:22:55

Edited By Clive Matthews on 10/09/2009 08:25:58

• 3 weeks later...